Author Topic: G R POTTS, d. So. Sh. 1914, s. of Taylor POTTS, compiler a history of Sunderland  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear All,

I have three specifically-targeted queries about the above-captioned people. Please read my entire post before replying.

Background:
These people are not in my direct line and I do realize that POTTS is not an uncommon surname in the NE. However I do have documented interactions between a POTTS family and my line over several generations. What I am trying to discover is whether these are merely coincidental or whether it is always the same POTTS family.

Queries:
1)   Is anyone here researching this POTTS family with whom I could correspond? G. R. POTTS had been "an ardent cyclist" and "a great pedestrian" (competitive long-distance walker).

2)   To confirm the connexion dating back to the 1790's, I would need to discover the names of the POTTS antecedents of Taylor POTTS - parents, possibly grandparents, possibly greatgrandparents. I don't have home internet and am dependent on access allowed at my public library and I do have a lot of other queries in the works so I feel unable to cope with a POTTS family history on my own. Hence this request to see if anybody here is already working on that line. However, I am not asking for something-for-nothing. If I can connect with a POTTS researcher, I will contribute what snippetts I have.

3)    Can anyone here confirm the proper title of Taylor POTTS' History of Sunderland and where a copy can be found? I would very much like to read it as I do have links to Sunderland.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: G R POTTS, d. So. Sh. 1914, s. of Taylor POTTS, compiler a history of Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Query 3 - Title  - Sunderland: a history of the town, port, trade and commerce. Paperback – 16 Feb 2011 by Taylor Potts (Author)

Amazon link here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunderland-history-town-trade-commerce/dp/124109151X  (other book suppliers are available)
ISBN-10: 124109151X
ISBN-13: 978-1241091514

Local library could get it??

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: G R POTTS, d. So. Sh. 1914, s. of Taylor POTTS, compiler a history of Sunderland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Taylor Potts "Sunderland: A History of the Town, Port Trade and Commerce." 1892. The whole book is digitised and available online at https://archive.org/details/sunderlandahist00pottgoog
It can be downloaded.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Good spot Stan - overlooked the Internet Archive.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary for Taylor Potts in the Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Monday 30 April 1894

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
According to a tree on Ancestry Taylor Potts was born 14th May 1816, and his parents were Guy (Haddock) Potts 1786-1855 and Jane Patterson 1789-1859.  He married Anna Maria Rawlings 12th Oct 1840, and his son Gabriel Rawlings Potts was born 4th Sept 1841, died 27th March 1914.
The parents of Guy (Haddock) Potts, were Thomas (Cork) Potts, 20th Sept 1749-23rd June 1830, and Mary Haddock 1751-1835. The tree shows all the children of the marriages. If you have access to Ancestry at the Library you could see the tree  "Barlow (was Dunn) Family Tree 2"

Stan

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stan and MaxD for these quick and informative replies. This gives me a lot to look up and try to piece together. I do appreciate your assistance.

Cheers,
Westoe