Author Topic: Great grandparents search  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Paulfinn7979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great grandparents search
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I’m looking for any information on great grandparents George Beattie and Margaret McFarlane Kelly. I know they got married in Ballingry Fife in 1923 and had 4 children Ruth (my grandmother) Mary, George and Clifford and that he left them at an early age and moved down to Yarm in Northumberland but I know very little about either of them and was wondering if anyone can help?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great grandparents search
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you have their marriage certificate? Have you looked on Scotlands People website? Pay per view for certificates; Scottish marriage certificates will show parents' names & occupations which will help you find parents on censuses, birth certificates & baptisms.

Have you looked for George on the 1939 register [England & Wales] on findmypast? Will show address & birthdate. #

ADDED: a 1923 marriage certificate will be available online from SP for 6 credits.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
     George Beattie appears to have been a manager at D.C.I Building (named Dicks Building elsewhere) from just after their marriage till about 1935.     Dicks Building was at Lochore & Glencraig, Ballingry, Fife.

I noticed an entry for the death of Margaret McFar... Beattie at Pollock in Glasgow in 1958.      Obviously, there hasn't been enough space to give Margaret's full middle name but it looks like it could be McFarlane.

P.S.   Clifford's full birth name was Jack Clifford Beattie at Cannongate & Portobello in 1950.     Ruth may have been born as Ruth Gillespie Beattie in 1927 and registered in Kirkcaldy.     George may have been born as George Stanley Beattie in 1933, and also registered at Kirkcaldy.     Mary Beattie appears to have been born in 1926 and registered at Anstruther.    Maybe you can tell whether or not this seems right?!

There may be marriages for all four children but we are dealing with possible living people now, so I can't print any information about that

Offline Paulfinn7979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Wow thanks for this info, I have nothing about my great grandfather George at all so I really appreciate this. Ruth was my grandmother and she passed away 16 years ago and her brother George died about 4 years ago but uncle Clifford and auntie Bud (Mary) is still alive and I know all about them and am in touch with the family. Just know that George my great grandfather left them and moved to England.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me where and when George Beattie was born?

Offline Paulfinn7979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I think he was born about 1899 in fife. He left my great grandmother with 4 kids and went to Northumberland where I think his parents where born and lived with a miss Sparrow (not sure if they married). Got this from his daughter Mary now late 90's but she suffers from dementia so not sure .

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I think there is a birth of a George Beattie at Ballingry in 1913 (I will look again to make sure).
Problem is this: I think his father's name may also have been George Beattie.     And on checking the Valuation Rolls, there is a George Beattie and he is working at Dicks Co-operative Institutions Ltd in 1915-16, so I believe this is George's father.      I also now think that the information I already gave you MAY BELONG TO THE FATHER!!! because this is the very same place of work.   

It says the father was a Grocer, and the Dicks property had a Shop, Bakery, Stables & Yard.
Dicks Co-op Institutions Ltd was apparently in the Bank of Scotland Buildings, Dunfermline.

....I think Yarm is in Yorkshire, according to my map.    Any clues about how long he lived there? 

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I think the family outline is along these lines:

GRO Births:
BEATTIE, GEORGE    mmn    GILHESPY 
1902  D Quarter in HEXHAM  Volume 10B  Page 412

BEATTIE, BEULAH   mmn    GILHESPY 
 1905  M Quarter in HEXHAM  Volume 10B  Page 413

FreeBMD
Marriages Jun 1902
Beattie    John William    Newcastle T.    10b   260   
Gilhespy    Ruth   

Maureen

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
There was another child - Effie Beattie, b Q2 1908, Hexham.

The three children and mother Ruth are in Hartlepool in the 1911 census - the Ancestry transcription is appalling  ;D - mother Ruth Beattie is transcribed as Robert Beatrice... Father John William Beattie seems to be absent, although Ruth Beattie isn't noted as a widow.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.