Author Topic: Help with Griffiths Valuation & linking Irish Census 1901??  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Griffiths Valuation & linking Irish Census 1901??
« on: Thursday 01 February 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I have banged my head trying to figure out the exact spot where ancestors lived. Griffith Valuation shows- William Grattan- Annaghbane town land as reference number 39, then his son John Grattan, reference number 40 and another son William Grattan, reference 41. The father had 17 plus acres listed on the report as 1. son John Grattan had land number 2 and brother William, 2a. cottier, occupying house and garden. This is my family for sure. On the map where you overlay old with new, I can't find the specific spot. Can anyone advise me where this land is, using today's streets as a guide??
Also, the 1901 Census shows my Grattans living at "residents of house 5 in Annaghbane" Donaghmore, Co. Down. I was told that number 5 may not be an exact address, but is there someway I can pinpoint or confirm the exact spot where they lived in 1901 was in fact this land that appears in Griffiths in 1864. I am so close. I was over in Ireland last September and was in Creevy and Finnard and was so close but ran out of time to find this area. Any help I will sincerely appreciate.

Susan Graham
Ajax, Ontario
Canada

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Griffiths Valuation & linking Irish Census 1901??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:10 GMT (UK) »
My reading of Griffiths is that there are only 10 farms on the townland. I am not sure where the numbers 39, 40 & 41 come from. Can you clarify?

Plot 1 is William Grattan in the middle of Annaghbane townland on the modern Tierny Rd. Plot 2 (which was land only, ie no house) was John G. It was also on Tierny Rd, and property 2a  (a house and 1 rood) was William (cottier) is up a little lane off Tierny Rd.

I notice the use of an agnomen ie William Grattan (cottier). That tells you there were 2 different William Grattans in the townland. Father and son as are usually described as snr & jnr, so the agnomen confirms the 2 Williams were unlikely to be father and son.

House numbers and street names were only introduced in rural areas in Co Down in the 1950s. Prior to that the townland name itself was sufficient to identify you and get a letter delivered etc. The postman and anyone else who mattered knew where in the townland you lived. So the numbers on the census are the enumerator's private numbering system, which varied from census to census, and bear no relation to the Griffiths numbers nor to any house number the property may have today. You just have to use the Griffiths maps to work out where they lived.

I had a look at the 2 properties today on Google Earth.  There is still a farm and outbuildings at plot 1, though the buildings look to be new, so far as I can tell. On Plot 2a the old buildings have clearly been demolished and there is a new house there today (close to the junction with the Cargabane Rd).
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried using the online Valuation Revision Books to follow the properties (from the printed version of Griffith's until c1930) to see when changes were noted?
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books

In 1901 there are only 7 households listed in Annaghbane but by 1911 there are only 6 -
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000752103/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002266316/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
William Grattan
Plot 1
Can't link to Griffith's map but this is plot 1 on the OSI mapviewer you can see the letters BAN of the Annaghbane are on plot 1
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,712063,836423,10,7
The same spot on Google maps
https://goo.gl/maps/15mWXsMzh7E2
It's better to compare with the GV map as you can see the field lay out better there, the fields have changed a little one or two have been joined together but particularly on the south side of the road the fields are almost the same.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
My most sincere thanks to the lovely, kind people who helped me out and got me back on track with my research!!!

To see a picture of the actual land that my ancestors once lived on is amazing and so exciting. Words can't express enough on just how grateful I am for the help.