Author Topic: Funeral Home dilemma - Thomas BRUGMAN, Dargaville.  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral Home dilemma - Thomas BRUGMAN, Dargaville.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
and later in PM reply; part quote re contributors to this thread and research:-

.......I will keep you updated and I would like to take the opportunity to praise the work done by the members in this thread. I would not have seen the link to my friends family, if they had not done the research.

Kind regards,

Mish231

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 February 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »
What I still am unaware of, in all of this, is what specifically had been tried to find living relatives before we got onto the case.

I think this is as important as any legislation the funeral director may want to see implemented.

Some the questions I have are:

• What is the procedure for locating next of kin?  Is there an established protocol?  Is there a reasonable time frame allowed?  What resources are accessed?

• What happens to the physical assets of the estate?  Are they stored?  By whom?  For how long?

My understanding is that in the case at the end of a(ny) tenancy the landlord is only required to keep items for 28 days before they dispose of them.  Is this fair in the case of a person who dies either intestate or with immediately untraceable next-of-kin?

• Is there an understood period of grace that any funeral director cares for the deceased for, before the State becomes responsible?

I am sure you will have others!
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 19 February 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Even though I know mish231 is in contact with a first cousin of the deceased, I let the "lovely Dutch gentleman" know what had been going on at our end with the research and he said that ....

The family index cards have all been ordered for Thomas's siblings and hopefully will arrive with him this week.   
Failing any or all of these the plan is to look in local council records too.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 03 March 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Well the result does look as if there may not be any immediate family to contact.  ???

Three siblings stayed in the Netherlands.

These are the results of the personal index cards, with thanks to the lovely Dutch gentleman (a 'Brugman' genealogist):

"
Paul Leo Brugman
Born: 03-02-1935 Rotterdam, Netherlands
Died: 06-12-2008 Voorst, Netherlands
He had no children.

Laura Laetitia Brugman
Born: 10-03-1936 Rotterdam, Netherlands
Died: 18-10-2011 Noordoostpolder, Netherlands
She had no children.

Hermanus Joannes Brugman
Born: 14-02-1930 Rotterdam, Netherlands
Died: 23-08-1997 Arnhem, Netherlands
He had no children.
"

Bernardus, Thomas's other brother was recorded as being in Switzerland in 1959 when Thomas arrived in NZ, but this line of research has not been followed.

mish231's contact with the first cousin seems the closest contactable link then, without doing the research into all the siblings (and children) of Thomas's mum and dad too.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 25 March 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
An update:

Death Notice published in the New Zealand Herald on 24 March 2018 as follows:

"BRUGMAN, Thomas - On 14 July 2017, late of Ruawai.  Aged 83 years.
A private man.  A respected friend.
Laid to rest at Mt Wesley cemetery, Dargaville on Thursday 22 March 2018".
Hart Funerals

WNW

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update.

Been too busy on other projects, business and family during the day, and a major research project in the evenings, so have not been checking online death notices, only my local newspaper.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.