Author Topic: Chromosome shared segments query  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chromosome shared segments query
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
As there is only one other match with P, but P and I seem to have such a good match on chromosome 10, but only chromosome 10 now that the X matches are out of the equation, what does that mean?

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Means that none of your rellies have tested yet ;)

And yes re ICW, you and N and the other all have to match on an overlap of the segments you mentioned.

I hope you have uploaded to GEDmatch. You get to check against Ancestry users and others. Tools are good too.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 18 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Means that none of your rellies have tested yet ;)

Yes, I understand that. But my matches with N are spread over various chromosomes, whereas my match with PB is only on 10, and it is a fairly large match.

I can see some overlapping segments with myself, N and three other people. Due to the surnames of those tested and my knowledge of where N and I match paper trail wise, I am pretty sure these connect through my Irish ancestors.

Yes, I uploaded to Gedmatch some time ago. I did play around with it but got completely lost. I shall try again.

Thanks for your help. It is all becoming a little clearer. :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
19 is good!
Now you put them in the Chromosome browser - five at a time it allows - and see which ones match N on the same segments that you match with N.
Thank you spike  I do think you have mostly answered this but if I could confirm. One of my brickwalls is bugging me so I put the name in and had 15 matches with that name ( FamilyFinder) I clicked on 5 that matched with other names and they all have colour on different segments . ie none are on the same chromosone line let alone overlap.

Does this mean they dont match each other and only match me on those segments ?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
That would be correct, David.
But we were talking about the In Common With function and you seem to be looking at those people who have matches in common with only you.
You might want to select some of those matches and see who else they match using ICW. This will bring in genuine matches who are not showing the surname you have used for your filter. Alternatively you could download all your matching segments to a spreadsheet, and finding those 15 matches will show who else they match with.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you spike

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 March 18 05:27 GMT (UK) »
A secondary question : ftDNA show chromosomes as a segmented piece ie 2 segments

Is there a specific side to maternal and paternal sides? ie does the left hand segment hold paternal and the right maternal? Or is it mixed?

Scott, Cronin

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 March 18 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I've got the question right, but no DNA test can determine which specific segments you get from which parent. The trick is to work it out for yourself preferably with one or both parents or a close relative. If you tell FTDNA how these people relate to you by where you place them in your DNA tree, your matches will start showing with blue pants or a pink dress. Then when you do an in common with check on a match, the majority should be one side or the other (given that you are showing a bit of Cornish you might find a few people who match on both sides).
Sorry if I didn't answer the question or if you knew all that.
And speaking of chromosome browsers, My Heritage launched theirs yesterday. You can view seven matches at a time (FTDNA only allows five) and you can download all the segments from all the matches - I've got 1800! - to a spreadsheet, which you can also do on FTDNA.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 March 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again Spike. I thought so but am hoping to be able to categorise

I am clicking through now. I cheated and started with the 197 nearest/distant relatives ( out of 1935) but otherwise its a long process.

Scott, Cronin