Author Topic: The Horn Family (Help!)  (Read 3243 times)

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Horn Family (Help!)
« on: Thursday 01 February 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all :)

I have previously attempted to find out some information about my G-Grandfather, George Lamont Horn (born 1903). Unfortunately, I know very little about this side of the family, and when I set up a post a few years back, everyone encouraged me to get the certificates. About 3 years later (and a university degree), I have returned to this brick wall and have now got George's birth and marriage certificate. However, nothing adds up...

Birth Certificate: George Lamont Horn, born 9th December 1903 in Croydon. Father; William Nixon Horn. Mother; Violet Kemp Horn, formerly Thomson. William is listed as a Chemist.

Marriage Certificate: George Lamont Horn married Ellen Linfield on the 23rd December 1933 in East Preston, Sussex. They are both listed as 30 years old. He is a Butler, she a Cook General.
His father; John Horn (deceased), but listed as a Chemist. Her father; William Linfield (deceased) - Labourer.

Everytime I have attemped to go past George Lamont, I have found nothing. This has me more confused than ever when I opened the letter today so find that his father's first name is completely different on both certificates.

I have many questions and I'm hoping Rootschat members will be able to help!
Why is the father's names different? (but his profession appears to be the same)
I have done many searches for Ellen Linfield, but nothing has come up with her being born in 1903 or the years either side. She may have lied, I guess.
Why can't I find anything on the 1911 census for pretty much any of the names above?
I've done many searches to try and find if I have the wrong George Lamont, but there only ever appears to be one around the dates.

A bit more information: Violet Kemp Horn (George's mother), dies in 1946 in Geelong, Australia. I have her death certificate. She is listed as a Widow to William Horn, but with no issue (the staff in the home she appeared to live in may not have known she had children).

Any help would be amazing, and sorry for the bombardment of information!
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Horn Family (Help!)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Have you already looked for:

George in 1911 to see whether he’s with parents?
George and Ellen in the 1939 Register to confirm her birthdate?
Violet’s emigration to Australia for any details that might contain?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
At his death (Hove, 1976), George Lamont Horn’s birthdate was recorded as 3 November 1903.

His wife seems to have gone by Margaret Ellen, with a birthdate of 15 May 1903, and died as Margaret Ellen Horn in Ashford, Kent, in Jun qtr 1978.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
There seems to have been a daughter who died (1988 Uckfield) as Mary Violet Booth with a birthdate of 29 January 1932 - born before the 1933 marriage.

She married as Violet M Horn to Stanley L Booth, Sep qtr 1954 Hove.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Hope you are now settled in Australia  ;D

Not helping but there is a newspaper article Worthing Herald 28 August 1937
Lancing Woman charged with bigamy - man with aiding
It mentions George Lamont Horn & Nellie Margaret Maidment (They married June qtr 1938)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello avm228,

Thank you for your reply!

I can't find George in 1911. He must be there somewhere, but I seem to go round and round with this search :(

I haven't looked at the 1939 register. I have Ancestry, do I need something else to access this?

Violet emigrates in 1922, on her own. From what I've worked out with the incoming passenger lists, she docks in Sydney and ends up in Melbourne. On her Victorian Death Certificate, it states that she had been in Victoria for 25 years, which adds up.

In regards to your find of the Margaret Ellen - I also found this and there are a few coincedences.
My family (that side), lived in Ashford, Kent at that time. Whenever I have asked about Ellen, they told me they always thought her name was Margaret (obviously this doesn't match up with certificates I have).
The birthdate also adds up that she would have been 30 when they got married, which it states on their marriage certificate.

Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I have just read further down the very long newspaper article - it would appear that Ellen Linfield was a fictitious name given by Nellie Margaret when she married George Lamont Horn the first time

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes it seems Ellen Linfield never existed.  She was Nellie Margaret nee Greenfield who had married Hubert Maidment in 1922.

However, she had formed a relationship with their lodger George Lamont Horn and had a daughter with him in 1932, and he knew of her true circumstances when they went through with the bigamous marriage in 1933 (they both pleaded guilty to this).

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Nellie’s father was William James Greenfield of Cootham, Storrington, who gave evidence at the trial.