Author Topic: Burial Look-up: Aberdare St John's  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Look-up: Aberdare St John's
« on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just received the death certificate of what I believe is my 3x Great Grandparents first child, but the certificate unhelpfully records her just as 'colliers daughter' and the informant isn't a known family member, so I'm no further forward.   

Her burial is on the Glamorgan Burial Index but no parents details are given so I'm hoping the actual register has more information & would really appreciate it if someone could check this for me.

The details are Gwenllian Davies aged 3 months of Aberdare Village, buried 20 Dec 1840.

Thanks in advance for any help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Look-up: Aberdare St John's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jomot
who do you think are the parents?
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 February 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mar, thanks for replying.

If it's the right child then her parents would be James Davies & Gwenllian Thomas. 

James & Gwenllian didn't marry until 1844 and are not together on the 1841 census, but there's no sign of the baby with either of them.  Both parents names are shown on her baptism.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 February 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can see the baptism on 9th November with James' address being Aberdare village and Gwenllian's being Abernant, Aberdare.
I can't see the burials online for Aberdare  :(
Any clues with the informants name?
Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 February 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've got people here so am only popping in & out.

The informant was George Jones, in attendance, Village, but so far I can't link him to anyone.

Added: Gwenllian's date of birth was 28 Sep 1840 so the age of 3-months ties in, but that's the only 'proof' that its the same person.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be anymore detail in the burial register than you already have. The transcription just states name as GWENLLIAN DAVIES Age3 but this should be months (probably incorrectly transcribed) - since death year and birth year both givean as 1840. Burial date 20th Dec. Residence given as Village. Buried at St John's.

I can look at the actual register next time I pass Aberdare, but the registers pretty much only give the above info (as was the case with her mother's burial) ie only the child's name, age and address and burial date -  no parents details

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 February 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
If (big if) George Jones, informant, of Village, Aberdare is still in the same place in 1841 census, there are only three possibilities?
Aged 25, Mill Street, Aberdare
Aged 20, Llwydcoed, Aberdare
Aged 65, Village, Aberdare - this one obviously sticks out

Have you located Gwenllian Thomas or James Davies in 1841 - wonder if George was a neighbour or relative

Mar

Surname Interests

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 February 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Gwenllian Thomas was with her parents at Moss Row (Abernant) in 1841, and I'm reasonably certain that James Davies was with his mother, Gwenllyan aged 55, in the Village.

George Jones of Village does seem the most likely, but it doesn't seem like he's a close neighbour and I cant find any link via marriage.  The Nicholas Jones living in the same household briefly gave me a little hope as it isn't such a common forename and Gwenllian Sr's father was called Nicholas, as was a son, but it seems to be just a coincidence. 

The death of Gwenllian Davies husband in March 1841 was also registered by some 'random' person (John Evans, Village)... I think they were doing it on purpose just to hurt my brain!  :-X

ADDED: Sam, sorry, I didn't acknowledge your post.  I know the online transcripts don't give any further information but I was hoping that the PR or the full transcripts by the Glamorgan FHS  might have some extra detail, although I think it unlikely.  If you are able to check for me though, that would be great.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jomot
sorry I cant make any connections either - I see your frustrations ! What was going on in Aberdare  ;D ;D
Can I ask a couple of things:
* is Thomas Davies, grandson, born 1844, with Gwenllian's parents, sister, and child of sister (Thomas Adams) another child of Gwenllian (nee Thomas) and James Davi(e)s?
* you said you were reasonably certain that James is with his mother Gwenllyan in 'village' in 1841; can I ask why you are not totally sure?

Mar
Surname Interests