Author Topic: Savage Family (Ards Peninsula)  (Read 3095 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Savage Family (Ards Peninsula)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Pedigree of Nugent of Dysert, Co. Westmeath, and O'Reillys of Ballinlough, afterwards Nugent and Savage of Portaferry afterwards Nugent of Dysert, c.1500 -- c.1840. Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.174, p.48
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »

Estate and personal papers of the Nugent and Savage families, Portaferry, Co. Down, c. 1680-1900. Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, D. 552 add.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »

Papers of Sir Rowland Nugent, over 800 items, relating to the Savage and Nugent families, including wills, leases, letters, etc. and rentals and maps of the Portaferry estate, Co. Down, 1624 - 1848. MS_UR_050884

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Found this on: https://www.ancestryireland.com/ (subscription site)
May or may not be related, it was the Patrick which I noticed ?
Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
SAVAGE   Ardkeen   Ardkeen   Ardkeen   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Mingled with their native dust rest underneath the remains of Mr Henry Savage of Cloughy who departed this life March 12th in the year of Our Lord 1771 aged 65 years & of his son Captn Jas Savage who depd this life July 12th in the year of Our Lord 1789 aged 45 years Here also lie the remains of his son Patrick Savage who departed this life the 16th day of February 1802 aged 56 years.
Comment   [SFU, 353 Horizontal stone on the ground cracked]

Another one with a Patrick mentioned.
SAVAGE   Ballytrustan   Ballytrustan   Ballytrustan   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by her children to the memory of their beloved mother Catherine Ann Savage of Portaferry who departed this life 21st May 1837 aged 69 Thomas savage her husband who departed this life 30th May 1803 aged 48 Rosalinda Savage her daughter who departed this life 11th August 1817 aged 25 Roland Savage who departed this life 21st April 1824 aged 65, brother of Thos Savage Patrick Thomas Savage her son who departed this life 4th December 1853 aged 39 years Jane Savage her daughter who departed this life 17th June 1855 aged 64 years Lucy Savage her daughter who departed this life the 8th May 1856 aged 55 years.
Comment   [SFU 370 Horizontal stone forming a box-tomb]

SAVAGE, PRICE   Templecraney or Ballyphilip   Ballyphilip   Ballyphilip   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Underneath lyeth ye bodies of Pat Savage of Portaferry, Esq, who departed this life ye 13th day of Sept 1724 aged 82 years, and his four sons, viz of Patk Savage, eldest son, who died 13 of June 1712 aged 25 years, of Fran Savage, Esqr, third son, who died ye 8 Janu 1722 aged 25 years, of Rowd Savage, Esq, second son, who dyed May ye 23 1725 aged 35 years, of Margt Savage alias PRICE, wife to said Rowd who dyed April 1721 aged 27 years, of Dorcas, daughter to said Rowd & Margt and of Edward Savage Esq, who died Mar ye 18 1725 aged 25 years.
Comment   [SRU 369 Modern granite memorial tablet on the west wall of the old church]

All of the above Graveyards are in the Ards area.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in Patrick Savage, who was a Colonel in the Light Dragoons. I think he was born in 1784, and may have died in Jersey in February 1865. He married Charlotte Miller about 1828. Does anyone know, Patrick Savages's background, such as his parents and grandparents names, and also which part of County Down he came from ?  I checked out a book in the Linenhall Library, regarding the genealogy of this family, though cannot find any mention  of the above named, Patrick. Any assistance with this matter would be much appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 February 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
‘hallmark’ you are in the first  class of information experts, that’s topped by you do it for free. I am deeply impressed by your savage reply. ‘Sam Barry’ is also one to watch.
‘Allister 1964’ even with all that source material offered you may have to go back to the Linenhall library.
Savage family trees exist, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast.
The volume references for
➢   SAVAGE   5N, 6N, 7N, 12p11 Saintfield, 12 another item, 22, 23 Lurgan, 24p62 Bayly-Meredith, 33, 91 the letter N signifies there are extra notes, possibly written or inserted loose at the section for the tree, or again written or tucked in to last pages of that volume.
➢   Hoping this is includes new information for you
➢   good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 February 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 'Hallmark' and 'Sam Barry'. It will take me some time to digest all this information. I appreciate your help.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 February 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 'Hallmark' and 'Sam Barry'. It will take me some time to digest all this information. I appreciate your help.

The likes of...

Pedigree of Nugent of Dysert, Co. Westmeath, and O'Reillys of Ballinlough, afterwards Nugent and Savage of Portaferry afterwards Nugent of Dysert, c.1500 -- c.1840. Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.174, p.48

should be quite reasonable!

I got one of 1 page and it was only €4.00 incl postage.  They now send via email so no postage!!

You could email  jharte2'at'nli.ie for price!  Might be cheaper than petrol and parking.....  ;D