Author Topic: Henry Wilkinson Symonds  (Read 1703 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Wilkinson Symonds
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
1881 has Edward Symons, 23, born Isleworth (Icleworth), Shopman (H. + beef) at 373 New Cross Road, Deptford.
Head is Louis Lavienichi (Lazienichi), Ham & Beef Warehouse

What is that occupation on Edward's navy record - Beef Cutter?

Offline ila29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't look as if there ever was a Henry Wilkinson Symons. More likely perhaps that Edward was illegitimate. Perhaps his father was Henry Wilkinson?

Hello John,
Thanks, I already have the info about the New Cross Ham/Beef shop.

I need some clarification as I feel I'm being a bit slow with regard to Edwards illegitimacy. I realise that on Edwards marriage certificate to Louisa Jane Banks it shows his father as one Henry Wilkinson Symonds, a clerk, deceased and that this may have been simply a space filler to legitimise Edward.
My problem is where does the surname come from? Why not just write Henry Wilkinson?

ila

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I suppose it's possible that Edward believed his father was Henry Wilkinson Symonds.
Although if that is his baptism in Hammersmith, the father is plain Henry. Occupation Clerk on both. It would seem that Edward knew something about him!
If Edward knew that he was illegitimate but was not wishing to broadcast that fact on his marriage record, then he would certainly say his father was Symonds.

But we don't really know anything about his early life. If that is his birth registration in Brentford, then, yes, it appears he was illegitimate. In which case we would expect that his mother was a Symonds (or however it may be spelt)
A big question is, do the 1857 birth record and the later Hammersmith baptism relate to the same Edward? If yes, then presumably for the same sort of reasons as Edward had on his marriage, his mother seems to have been keen to hide the fact that her son was illegitimate when he was baptized. So then a father must be given.
We might then say that Edward's father could have been a man called Henry. But it's not impossible that the mother borrowed the name of her own father or some other relative for the occasion. Why then the Wilkinson name? But I honestly have no idea if it really was a man called Henry Wilkinson.

Mentioning the navy record, and the beef!, is really about trying to link some of these things up, particularly the 11 November birth date and the Isleworth place of birth. What we don't know of course is exactly what is on the birth certificate.
John

Offline ila29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
John,
Your post makes things clearer one hand and on the other opens more possibilities. ;D  :( Without more solid evidence, I suppose this branch of the family stops.  :'(
Thanks again for your help
ila

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 February 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
May be this one? No mmn listed so likely illegitimate

SIMONS, EDWARD       -     
GRO Reference: 1857  D Quarter in BRENTFORD  Volume 03A  Page 41   

ila29, you may not be aware but there are two versions of the GRO index, the one posted by cas has recently become available. I understand that they are from different sources of GRO records so spellings can somtimes vary.

The other index for the same record which freebmd have is
Birth Dec qtr 1857 
Simms    Edward       
Brentford    3a   41
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk