Author Topic: Parkhouse in Dumfries-shire?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parkhouse in Dumfries-shire?
« on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently researching my paternal side of family tree. I've found my 5x Great Grandparents- John Richardson and Agnes Dinwoodie. They got married in Tyron, Dumfries-shire in 1780. I got a copy of the marriage record and I'm unsure about one thing. It was recorded that John was from 'Parkhouse'? While Agnes was noted to be from the parish of Johnstone. I'm just unsure what 'Parkhouse could be and was it an old name for somewhere in Dumfries and Galloway? John was born in estimated 1753 but I cannot find his birth record anywhere.

Although I'm from Dumfries-shire but I still got a lot to learn about Dumfries and Galloway and it's history!

Thanks,
Fiona
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parkhouse in Dumfries-shire?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
It means that John Richardson lived in a place called Parkhouse in the parish of Tynron where the record was made.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 February 18 01:07 GMT (UK) »
hi dont know if this is any help if you go to https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk and click on dumfries then enter parkhouse some tax rolls come up for parkhouse in dumfries

Offline Newtonairds

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
HI, "PARKHOUSE" is an actual place consisting of 2 houses. Most of my ancestors "Kirkpatrick - Johnstone - Clark - all lived and died there. My Great grandfather "Thomas Kirkpatrick - His father John Kirkpatrick - right back to 1700s were all working blacksmiths at the actual house. There are also photographs available vis the Dumfries library- I also have taken personal pictures and spoken to the people who now live ther. I hope this is some help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I see that the OP didn't come back to see where it was.

It's still there on my map,  DeafDoggy:

http://maps.nls.uk//view/75500631#zoom=5&lat=1499&lon=4917&layers=BT

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
HI, "PARKHOUSE" is an actual place consisting of 2 houses. Most of my ancestors "Kirkpatrick - Johnstone - Clark - all lived and died there. My Great grandfather "Thomas Kirkpatrick - His father John Kirkpatrick - right back to 1700s were all working blacksmiths at the actual house. There are also photographs available vis the Dumfries library- I also have taken personal pictures and spoken to the people who now live ther. I hope this is some help.

This is quite interesting. It's amazing to think that some places/buildings that still stands to this day, has so much history. I might go to the Dumfries Library to find out more. I'd never heard of Tyrnon either!

Thanks.

@Gadget- I have had a look at the map and I was busy lately, which is why I hadn't replied. I love looking at old maps especially of the local areas, just to get an idea of what towns were like hundred of years ago. Thanks for the link
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.