Author Topic: Christening of Thomas Rogers  (Read 6210 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Thomas Rogers
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 February 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Glad it's coming together.

Hunton is a village near Maidstone and is about 23 miles west of Throwley.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 February 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Glad it's coming together.

Hunton is a village near Maidstone and is about 23 miles west of Throwley.

Claire

Hi Claire

Well that probably rules out the Peter Rogers who was christened there in 1612 as the Peter who married Elizabeth Dourne.

However there is another Peter Rogers, son of Robert Rogers, christened in Leaveland in 1606. Leaveland boarders Throwley and Molash and I think that this Peter might be the grandfather of Thomas Rogers (died 1754), assuming that Thomas was born in the 1670s or 1680s.

Anyhow once I've written up my notes and sorted all these people into groups I'll let you know if I've got any further.

Thanks again for the help

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 February 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

In one of your previous replies you mentioned a Joseph Dourn who was christened in 1620 in Molash and then one in Throwley in 1621. Are these the same person or two different christenings? Do you have the full dates  or parents names?

I've just drawn up a very small basic tree based on the info gathered so far. Based on the info you found and the info in the Will I believe Elizabeth Dourn (wife of Peter Rogers) was the niece of Joseph Dourn (whose Will I have). It looks like she is the daughter of the William Dourn and Godley Mercer who were married in 1633.

Peter Rogers is described as the "son of Thomas Rogers of Throwley" so I think that will be the best place to look next for the Rogers. I'm not sure when Peter was born but at a guess I'd say 1640s to 1650s.

As for the Dourns, I think I will have to look in Stalisfield for them.

Anyhow I'll send you a pdf tree later if I can so u can see what all this looks like.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 February 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Apologies for the confusion. There is only one Joseph born Throwley 1621. The other date I mentioned was me trying to remember what I'd seen whilst trying to work at the same time.

I have found a record in the London Apprenticeship Transcripts. Must be family.

Dated 1631 - John Doorne son of Joseph Doorne of Throwley, Kent, deceased. Apprenticed to Thomas Hathersole plaisterer.

It would be great to find a Peter Rogers baptism too to get back further for you.

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Apologies for the confusion. There is only one Joseph born Throwley 1621. The other date I mentioned was me trying to remember what I'd seen whilst trying to work at the same time.

I have found a record in the London Apprenticeship Transcripts. Must be family.

Dated 1631 - John Doorne son of Joseph Doorne of Throwley, Kent, deceased. Apprenticed to Thomas Hathersole plaisterer.

It would be great to find a Peter Rogers baptism too to get back further for you.

Claire

Hi Claire

Thanks for clearing that up. I've not been able to find any more on either the Dourne line or the Rogers yet.

The Joseph Dourne referred to in the apprenticeship indenture obviously cannot be the one born in 1621. He might be an uncle of that Joseph though. I wonder if there are any other Dourns in the area at that time? So far I've not seen any other Wills but I'll keep looking.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 February 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

There are quite a few Dourne families about in the places we have been looking at ( Throwley, Molash, Stalisfield etc.) restricting the search to 1600-1680  - I keep spotting them in the records.

It looks like Joseph Dourne's wife Joan remarried the following year

Robert Peckenham married Joan Dorne 26 May 1687 at Molash

Joane Peckenham buried 15 Jul 1687 Molash wife of Robert.

It looks like Robert P died c1708 Molash, there is a reference of an inventory bundle in the Kent Probate indexes.

Have been trying allsorts to find a marriage for Joseph Dorne and Joane but unsuccessful at the moment.

Regarding Peter Rogers - son of a Thomas Rogers. I'm going to try and look what happened to these children below. All born in Leaveland ( where Peter was buried) and children of a Thomas Rogers. The registers at Leaveland specify no baptisms after 1645.

Ana bapt. 4 May 1635 daughter of Thomas and Judith
Thomas bapt. 5 Apr 1631 son of Thomas.
William bapt. 16 Nov 1641 son of Thomas and Judith
Catheryn bapt. 18 Mar 1633 dau. of Thomas Roggers.

Thomas Rogers married Judith Cheeseman 7 May 1629 Leaveland

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 11 February 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

There are quite a few Dourne families about in the places we have been looking at ( Throwley, Molash, Stalisfield etc.) restricting the search to 1600-1680  - I keep spotting them in the records.

It looks like Robert P died c1708 Molash, there is a reference of an inventory bundle in the Kent Probate indexes.

Have been trying allsorts to find a marriage for Joseph Dorne and Joane but unsuccessful at the moment.

Regarding Peter Rogers - son of a Thomas Rogers. I'm going to try and look what happened to these children below. All born in Leaveland ( where Peter was buried) and children of a Thomas Rogers. The registers at Leaveland specify no baptisms after 1645.

Claire

Hi Claire

Thanks for the update. I am currently looking into the marriage of another Kent ancestor, Richard Chapman. I know he was married to a widow named Margaret Reader [nee Hodge, I believe] in 1676, but now it looks like he was married three times! [see my post on Margaret Reader for full details].

Anyhow I'll stop there and I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Many thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 May 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Claire

Hi Claire

Hope you are well. It's been a while since I looked into the Rogers and Dorne families but I think I have made some progress with the Dourns.

I will post an update on here soon.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 June 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I'm well, hope you are too  :)

Glad you've made some progress with the Dourns, I look forward to hearing from you.

Claire