Author Topic: Divorce  (Read 1753 times)

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 February 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. I have not got much further but am working on it. I accept that they may not be officially divorced because of cost etc., I am intrigued that Elizabeth Buke Curtin's marriage certificate from her second marriage to Richard Exton 1917 clearly states  'The divorced wife of Joseph Patrick Curtin'.
Miller Millar Moroney Burke Masterson Munro Phemister Wall Brophy Curtin Magan Thomson Galvin Price Foster Reid

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Where do you have Elizabeth & Joseph in 1911
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for our interest. In the 1911 Census Elizabeth is in Trealaw, Rhondda South Wales as a widow (which doesn't make sense as in 1917 she is a divorcee of Joseph Curtin). She is managing a boarding house with her sister, who was definitely a widow. Naturally there is no mention of Joseph Curtin at that address in Trealaw. He is probably back in Ireland. The fields for number of live births etc. is not filled in for either sister on the census form. I don't know if Elizabeth had any children but her sister did.
Elizabeth and Joseph were married in Limerick in 1897. Elizabeth was from Miltown Malbay, Co Clare.
Miller Millar Moroney Burke Masterson Munro Phemister Wall Brophy Curtin Magan Thomson Galvin Price Foster Reid

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 February 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :)    The live birth column only relates to married women, it would certainly have helped a lot of us with our research if widowed / divorced women were included  :)

I don't think that you could get a divorce in Ireland at that time  :-\ 

Sorry but I can't see her earlier than 1911

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 February 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I think this is Elizabeth in 1901 at 69 Henry Street,  Kilrush, Clare :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Kilrush_Urban/Henry_Street/1082230/

She is a shopkeeper with 2 daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret.

Birth record for Elizabeth Curtin 23 Jan 1898 at Henry Street , Kilrush ; father Joseph Curtin , shop keeper , and mother Elizabeth Curtin formerly Bourke
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1898/02091/1797364.pdf

Birth for Margaret 1900:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01981/1763273.pdf

Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a Naturalisation record  , in Denver , Colorado , for a Joseph Patrick Curtin , born 10 April 1874 in Kilrush , County Clare. He claims that he walked across the river on the ice from Sault Ste Marie , Ontario , Canada , and arrived in Michigan around 7 March 1907. He could be the right man and may have deserted Elizabeth and his children. Will see if I can find out any more.

Edit - see below , he is indeed the right man  ;D

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Patrick Curtin and wife Elizabeth were divorced in 1915 in Denver , Colorado , case number 50601.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/archives/archives-search

It is not possible to link to the result - you will need to search , using the above link , for Curtin and put 1915 in the date field.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant find Christine   ;D

Rosie

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 February 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Christine53 thank you so much. I will follow it all up. The 1901 census is certainly her, Agnes Kennelly  appears & is known to me. I was wondering if they went to America at some stage as Elizabeth's sister went out there but came back to UK.I am so grateful.