Author Topic: Nottingham....nineteenth century pub  (Read 718 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham....nineteenth century pub
« on: Friday 02 February 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I've got someone who was arrested in a pub in Nottingham in the nineteenth century (don't ask). It was on or around present day Poplar Street/Road....if you come towards the city centre via London Road, it's on your right just before you get to the traffic link just before Parliament St starts. I don't know if it was demolished when the traffic link was created (1960s or 1970s ?) or if it was gone long before then. I've been trying to find it on old Nottm pub sites & Googling to see if I can find out anything about the demolition/construction of the traffic system to give me some clues, as well as old Nottm  photos. I suspect neither the pub nor the street was very salubrious.

Has anyone got a link to Business Directories etc from which I could find out when it stopped being listed ?

Thanks       

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham....nineteenth century pub
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 February 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I know you said don't ask, but... can you give any further details? :)  Name of person (for newspaper archive search), more accurate sense of year (as opposed to just the century) and so on.

I was hopeful that the 1892 insurance valuation map at http://www.oldmapsonline.org might be of use, but unfortunately Poplar Street is just off the edge of the closest area that it covers.

BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham....nineteenth century pub
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
 http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/nottinghamshire/nottingham_ng1_stagpheasant.html
On the above site the Stag and Pheasant Inn is described as being on London Road but I remember it as being on Poplar Street corner of Pinder Street, now BioCity. There is a newspaper report in the Nottingham Evening Post 1 April 1886 where the coroner held an inquest at the "Stag and Pheasant Inn, Poplar Street".

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland