Author Topic: Name or place?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name or place?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say ---- sometimes when you receive a link alerting you to a response -- other replies will have been received also. The site is very clever -- it knows whether you have visited the topic and seen a reply. Hence if you haven't -- you won't be alerted again if other responses come in, so by the time you do see your email, there may be more than one reply to view.

I hope that makes sense! (I know what I mean, but I may not have put it across very well.) Bottom line is --- you did the correct thing when you used the blue 'reply' sign -- so nothing to worry about.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 03:18 GMT (UK) »
How about ....? Emery/Emerey COWAN

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Jennscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the responses. It was difficult to use on my phone, now that I know how to reply I will.
The reason I thought it might not have been a name was because of the lack of space between first and last..Just a thought.
I have zero information about the book and where it came from, but I did get it in Canada. It is called
My New Order, by Hilter. Its the follow up to Mein Kampf.
Maybe this will be a clue to someone on here.
I collect mostly old Bibles, but I am drawn to other historical books

Thank you again :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that I can't make out anything sensible from the word, but I think Pennine's question is a good one:

I was just wondering if this 'name' is in the preface of the book - if so it is more likely to be someone's name, rather than a place.

A place name without anything else is unlikely to have been written inside a book, whereas someone's name is ...  :)

Offline Jennscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 04:52 GMT (UK) »
thank you..I think that narrows it down to a name :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Jennscott -- it is difficult with, as you say -- seeming to be all one word. As a result it is hard to come up with a definitive translation.

The only reason I can think of it being a place name is if it was where and when the owner bought it.

If it is a name -- first name does look like Emery and then could be P. Howard. (Maybe the pen was too heavy for them to lift of the page to separate the names!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.