Author Topic: Mothers' names to be put on marriage certificates  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mothers' names to be put on marriage certificates
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree that it makes sense, could we start a petition to make the law retrospective?  :)

That would be far too costly to do, unless of course you would be prepared to pay extra for each certificate
Cheers
Guy

Guy, I was not being serious , hence the smiley. Perhaps I should have found a tic emoticon

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I came across a marriage record the other day which recorded the mother's name - and in occupation it said "single mother".  So I guess she had brought up the child on her own.

And yes, it was in England - just can't remember the details!

FS

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I came across a marriage record the other day which recorded the mother's name - and in occupation it said "single mother".  So I guess she had brought up the child on her own.

And yes, it was in England - just can't remember the details!

FS

That must be quite unusual and probably at the discretion of the vicar.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 February 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I married 45 years ago today.My dad died when I was a child,so my mum became a 3rd witness to the marriage,just so our surname would be on the cert. It didn't say in what capacity she signed,but I know who she is/was and why it's there  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 February 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Considering how common some of our names are, our records are more or less worthless when compared to those I discovered when I found my gt.gt. grandparents Hanoverian 1853 marriage record.  The document states the Parish, the dates in each parish when the banns were read out plus the marriage date. Both the groom and bride's parents were named including occupations and their places of birth.  Additionally the bride and groom's full names, occupations, with their dates and places of birth.  Plus witnesses details.

Similarly the death records were just as advantageous, especially as the actual age of the deceased of years, months and days were recorded (e.g. 69 years, 10 months, 2 days).

In this days of easy travel, future am. genealogists would love to have this sort of information but on reflection, I presume some would think it was against some form of "right".

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
It does make sense, especially in these days when there are so many single parent families. At the moment it could mean that someone is brought up by their mother, yet when it comes to their marriage it is a long absent father's name who goes on the certificate. Lets hope it gets passed and becomes law quickly.

Couldn't agree more.  My 1st husband took off when I was pregnant and I've not laid eyes on him since.  He didn't contribute a penny towards my son's upbringing, nor invest a minute of his time, so in truth I object to him being on my son's marriage certificate at all, let alone as the only one. 

Thankfully my son son is still single so at least I will now be included :)  but it's a pity that the man who raised him for the last 20 odd years won't be. 

I'd actually have been happier if they'd removed the requirement for parents details completely and replaced it with date & place of birth of bride & groom. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
This kind of thing is the only reason I regret that I won't get married- not leaving a marriage cert. After having a folder filled with birth marriage and death certs it feels so incomplete not having that one cert. Maybe I should become one of those people who decides to marry the Eiffel Tower or something.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't agree more.  My 1st husband took off when I was pregnant and I've not laid eyes on him since.  He didn't contribute a penny towards my son's upbringing, nor invest a minute of his time, so in truth I object to him being on my son's marriage certificate at all, let alone as the only one. 

Thankfully my son son is still single so at least I will now be included :)  but it's a pity that the man who raised him for the last 20 odd years won't be. 

Is it actually a legal obligation to give a birth father's name? I know on some of the certificates I have there is a made up name or the step father's name. I don't see why your son couldn't give his stepfather's name and just say he doesn't know his father if asked.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 February 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
It seems genealogists have very short memories, doesn’t anyone remember the consultation document about proposed changes to the legislation relating to the Civil Registration Service in England and Wales by means of a Regulatory Reform Order back in 2003? (the process started in 1999).

Some of the changes proposed in that document have since come or at least partially come to fruition.
Some would address what people here have been calling for.

“Link registration records relating to the same person to create ‘through life’ records.
Add other records, such as divorce or naturalisation records, to the central database to build a more complete picture of a person’s civil status.
Introduce a more straightforward system for correcting and updating registration records.
Restrict access to linking information and to original information in the case of corrections and updates.
Plan to electronically capture registration records from the last 100 years.
Make available historic records for digitisation.
Remove the restrictions for accessing historic records.
Introduce a new framework for accessing modern registration records. They would continue to be publicly available but access to some information would be restricted namely address, occupation and cause of death. It would be available to the person named in the record, their family, those given access by the individual/family and those organisations with prescribed access.
Provide access to registration records, once they are digitised, via the central database.
The use of certificates would decline over time.
Introduce a statutory framework for the sharing of registration information.
Ensure the preservation of the original registers by allowing local authorities to have responsibility for their custody probably by depositing them in record offices.
Maintain the statutory arrangements for recording and depositing records of overseas events, records of HM Forces and other miscellaneous records held by the Registrar General.
Plan to electronically capture overseas records etc. The access framework would equally apply to these records.
Extend the current arrangements for depositing foreign marriage to include all marriages involving British citizens that take place in foreign countries.”

If anybody is interested they can download the 3 PDF files here.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lh1/

Some of the replies to the consultation my be seen here
http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/civilreg.htm

Perhaps one of the most interesting and possibly worrying to many would be the setting up of a through life record, linking not only BMDs but other records such as divorce, census, school records even the possibility of hospital records etc. all being eventually interlinked
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.