Author Topic: Seeking Sargeant Major Russell  (Read 1833 times)

Offline MAGGIE D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Sargeant Major Russell
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
A message has been sent via ancestry,co ukto me asking me to check Rootsweb re
 Robert Welsh Bissett Russell. ?born Glasgow
I think I am the Maggie referred to in previous entries about Robert but family cercumstances have prevented ne doing much re family history until now.
 I have never been able to find this Robert born in Glasgow just the one born in Troqueer Maxwelltown Dumfries  in 1877. This Roberts, mother was my GGgrandmother Janet Bissett. (1833 -1895) She never married to my knowledge and had quite a few children. Sometimes the fathers were named sometime not. They were

William Rae 1856 -1905 father James Rae
Thomas Bissett 1859 - 1860 no fahter named on cert
Agnes Bissett 1861         father Walter Blythe
Joseph Bissett 1867- 1939  no father named on cert He married 1st Janet Edgar Miller 1877
Thomasina Bissett  1870 - 1924 no father named on cert
Robert Welsh Bissett  1877- 1959  no father named on cert

Joseph and his wife Janet Edgar Miller and Robert Welsh Bissett  are living  at McLean street Glasgow in 1911. In 1913 Janet died Her death certificate says that her husband is Joseph Bissett Russell. His death certificate in 1939 says Joseph Russell. everything else on the certificate ties together apart from the names. His father is always Joseph Russell Boilermaker or Iron Turner (Haven,t been able to find him) mother Janet Bissett or Robson. Janets mother also janet was widowed young and as was the Scots way a long time ago women often reverted back to their maiden name. (Robson/Robertson) She is buried in Troqueer Cemetery in free ground ( Named Bissett/Robson).if she had reverted to Robson her daughter may also have done at times  IT MAKES THINGS CONFUSING BUT IS SHOWS THAT THE FAMILY THOUGHT NOTHING ABOUT SWAPPING THERE SURNAME AS THERE WAS NO REGULATION TO PREVENT THEM THEN. 

Robert Welsh Bissett was married to a Robina G Kirk who died 1910 in Glasgow On his marriage certificate he says his father is James Bissett Mason. mother janet Bissett (Robertson). He says he is living in Glasgow at this time. Robert appears to change his name to Robert Welsh Russell in 1911 father Joseph Russell ( same parents as Joseph uses in 1913) BoiLer maker and mother Janet Russell (Robertson  Occupations are the same . The only changing thing is surname and fathers name once
In 1917 a Robert Welsh Russell is born to Robert W Russell and Margaret Hamilton In Calmachie Glasgow. He is still a Railway Guard and a Sapper in the Royal Engineers  Robert can be found on the 1920 valuation roll in at 38 Craigmore Street Glasgow. i cannot find him after that until there is a death in Dumfries Creighton Hospital of a Robert Welsh Bissett married previously to ladies of the above names Robina G Kirk  and Margaret Hamilton. It says he was a canteen assistant for the Navy ,Army and Airforce. but the informant was the Hospital administrator
not a family member
I asked about records at the Creighton Hospital but all that is available for Robert is an index card. I cannot find Robert under either name on the 1925 valuation roll.in Scotland. Have been unable to find a WW! record . Often troops where in one regiment and then attached to another so Robert may have been in the Sappers and attached to an Irish Regiment. I don,t know what records are available in Ireland for this time period. His paper trail seems to disappear until what would appear to be his death in 1959

i don,t know what else to do to try and help solve things before the next Scottish census is released
i think they are the same person. Are you sure he was born in Glasgow as well as living in Glasgow
Maggie 

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Maggie we are researching same family my mother in law was Ellen Hamilton Russell, father Robert Welsh Bisset sometimes Russell, mother Maggie Hamilton. I have lots of info on RWBR. I believe we had contact some years ago. You were kind enough to send me your family tree. I moved house & lost the info you gave me. I have tracked RWBR & can give you that info, attached to email. I have made contact with one of Margaret Hamilton's grandson's who has given me permission to pass his email address to you.
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Russell48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
I have just read the information on Robert Welsh Russell, who I think was my grandfather.  I have just started to look into my ancestry and found that my father's parents were RWR married to Margaret Hamilton in Glasgow.  My father is the first son of Margaret born in 1915 followed by Robert Russell born 1917l, then there is a William and then lastly Ellen Hamilton Russell born 1921, who my father said emigrated to South Africa when she married.  I have a birth cert for my father Herbert Alexander Bain Russell with the parents names written.  I met both William and Robert, my uncles.  My father mention at one time that my grandmother had visited Ireland, through looking at ancestry.uk I have searched on different trees and found that Margaret was in Ireland at some point.  Does this lot make any sense.   

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, my partner is the son of Ellen, & I am in touch with the son of one of the brothers. We have been searching for 'Hugh' as we believed that he was the eldest brother.
Your right that Ellen lived in South Africa, but returned to uk about 15 years ago.
Please could you send me a copy of the birth cert, I will PM you my email address. In the meantime I will contact my fellow researcher & he no doubt will be in contact, if you are happy with that? Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just thought, Ellen said her younger brother Hugh lived in Durham & had a son. Do you know if this is true?
Regards Trish.

Offline Russell48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
My father did have a son and did live in Durham.  Both are gone now.

Offline Russell48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Missed 'the younger' bit.  My father was the eldest in the family being born in 1915, Robert 1917 and William 1919.  There was no Hugh in the family, but apparently my father was known as Hughie, it was a nickname.