Author Topic: Andrew McCreadie  (Read 737 times)

Offline Caltha

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew McCreadie
« on: Friday 02 February 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find an 1891 census reference for the above person.  He was born 1870 in Girvan and eventually lived in Slatefield Road, Glasgow. He would have been in Glasgow from around the early 1890's hence the expectation that this is where the record will lie. He was employed as a Patern Weaver.

Anything anyone could do in helping would eb greatly appreciated.

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McCreadie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Caltha,
Andrew is a boarder in 1891 living in Waddell Street Govan, Hutchesontown with Fergus Roberson, his wife Elizabeth,and 6 children, and yes , he is living at 10 Slatefield Street Dennistoun in 1901. with his wife Jemmima 28 and son John aged 1
Cheers

Offline Caltha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lud - that is very helpful and fits with the rest of its history.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
He is still at 10 Slatefield Street in 1902, but then at 7 Annfield Street in 1903 there is an entry...

Andrew McCreadie, Weaver, so he appears to have changed his address, unless it is someone else with the same name.     In 1904, he is still at 7 Annfield Street... then in 1905, at the same address, he is listed as "Shopman".

Did he have a shop?

After this, the only Andrew McCreadie I see is living at 234 Wellington Street, but he is a Salesman, and he seems to be here up until 1910.      Don't know if this is any use to you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
.... in 1905, at the same address, he is listed as "Shopman".
Did he have a shop?
I think a shopman was someone employed in a shop rather than the owner, who would more likely be described as 'merchant' or by the name of his trade, such as grocer or spirit dealer or draper.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Caltha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 February 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your feedback.  I think it most likely that he worked in a shop and was not a shopkeeper as such.  I have the other information, but its very useful to have this as a check.  He was a very famous footballer in his time.