Author Topic: Missing births and marriages. General chat.  (Read 2905 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Missing births and marriages. General chat.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 February 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors from Toppesfield, Essex. I think the original registers have been damaged by damp. However I think a transcript was made before they were damaged by the damp. I think the dampness damage was about 1910/1920 and they made a transcript about 1905.

I too have been the beneficiary of foresight in the Edwardian era. Transcribers can only deal with the images in front of them. When the originals have suffered damage, it is too late. I know of registers where the transcribers for the IGI have just skipped over the "difficult" entries.

When I went to the archives in Whitehaven to confirm an IGI entry for a baptism at St. Bees, the microfilm image looked like a photo of crinkly black leather.

Luckily, a transcript had been made in the early 1900s, and with that in front of me, I could just decode the entry, which was in the best part of the image.

I often wonder whether such film images would be easier to read if colour film had been used, or if illumination in a particular wavelength would help. The Manchester 1851 water-damaged sheets have certainly benefitted from such treatment.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Also Bishops Transcripts can be a safety net to fall back on. The Toppesfield transcripts were not a Bishops ones as far as I know, just a general transcript. So I was lucky. The originals have been badly damaged but I could see on the small undamaged parts writing saying "...hter of Joshua Wyatt".

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Willisham in Suffolk was the birthplace od a 3 x ggmother, finding her parents (surname Brown) is a complete dead end as all the parish registers for Willisham, 1558-1934 (except marriages from 1838-1933) were destroyed by fire at Willisham Hall in 1934.  Bishop's transcripts for the period 1825-1831 have also survived.

It appears the the various incumbents had never sent any BT's off to the their 'boss'

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Baptists!  I was brought up in a baptist family, as was my mother & her father.  His family hailed from Wales, where they seem to have dabbled in various denominations before settling on baptist. 

My mother & grandfather were both baptised as adults and I know which churches they attended, but there are no online records for either, although the local archives has the members register.  I chose not to be baptised so was never a member, although there may be a record of my dedication service somewhere and the archives also has the Sunday School records, so I may get a mention there - I really should look  :)

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Knock me down with a feather. Seems another missing marriage has turned up. For ages (some years) I have tried to find the marriage of Hugh Wyatt to Rachel. They wed about 1745. All I knew.

I just typed into SEAX under Wiatt and found an index entry to the marriage licence allegation of Hugh Wiatt to Rachel Surridge.

There is always some hope. Missing marriages can turn up in marriage licences/bonds etc.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
My Great, Great Grandparents from Ireland first identified on record in England in 1879 with birth of first child. No marriage record in Ireland, England or anywhere else. Probably left Ireland because they were unmarried with a child on the way.

Blue

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I just typed into SEAX under Wiatt and found an index entry to the marriage licence allegation of Hugh Wiatt to Rachel Surridge.

The allegation is on FamilySearch.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YS26-3Y7?i=854&cat=279884

Says they are to be married at Steeple Bumpstead, but they don't seem to show up on Boyd's Marriage Index. 
Also written on that allegation, (in May 1746 ?) a request "please to send a fresh licence"

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »

The allegation is on FamilySearch.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YS26-3Y7?i=854&cat=279884

Says they are to be married at Steeple Bumpstead, but they don't seem to show up on Boyd's Marriage Index. 
Also written on that allegation, (in May 1746 ?) a request "please to send a fresh licence"

Thanks so much for this Jonw. Much appreciated.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
On my OH's side, there are a lot of RC marriages and birth records I've not managed to find, in Lancashire. I simply give up now, when they "confess" on a woolly census record  to having come from Ireland, I simply can't cope!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)