Author Topic: Thornton in Galway (Catherine and Family) 1800-1843  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thornton in Galway (Catherine and Family) 1800-1843
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

Yes Mary Thornton went to Tasmania as a convict on the Waverly in 1842.

Whoever wrote their M in these entries writes it differently to other people so it was confusing to tell if an M or not but looking at the name Mary the letter is the same.

So it looks like this Michael is Mary's brother Michael as this birth matches with the birth on the Army record I found and his mother's name Cath matches with Mary's mum of Catherine on her convict papers.

Interesting that so far I can't seem to find any other family member but there is a Sarah Thornton christened 11 Feb 1818 with parents (I can't make out) and Anne Thornton so maybe a relative of the family.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

PS: Mary Thornton may have been also known as Mary Thompson unless it is a mistake as in one spot on her marriage registration it has her name as Mary x Thompson

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Maggsie,

Going through the pages for Baptisms Nov 1810 - December 1821 for St Nicholas N & E, I found on page 34 (near the bottom) Anne Thornton christened 27 Sept 1812 Father Bate, Mother Catherine Fahey

So far I haven't found Mary or Ephraim, or any marriages for Thornton

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 February 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Oh Dear!
As she was a widow of 6 years, maybe Thornton was her married name.
The Johnson you mentioned on the marriage was the Rev or the Deputy Registrar.
The Mary Johnson on the other docs. she was from Kings county and tried in Queens county.
This is a hard nut to crack, sorry.
I looked at the deaths of Thornton in 1836 and saw 2 listed, but I am sure there were many more.
This is guess work, I don't think you are going to get any results for this.
I Just had a look at the Library in Dublin and searched for the 1842 papers, none listed.
Sorry, not much help today.
Maggsie

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, it was Thompson, not Johnson.

Her marriage papers say Spinster 25 when married in 1843 Tasmania but convict papers say widow so yes confusing.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I just searched the PRO WO records (incase Thornton was Mary's married name) for a Michael and brother Ed (Edward/Edmond as no Ephraim comes up) serving in 1842 when Mary Thornton was sent to Tasmania and says 2 brothers soldiers. The only family where a Michael and Ed were born in the same part of Galway that I found (using their discharge papers) are Michael and Edward Thornton born Galway, Galway.  This Edward was born about 1807 and William about 1815 (so If Mary was 29/30 in 1843 she would have been born between both of these births).

There is a christening for Ann Thornton 27 September 1812 mother Catherine Fahey but different father to the William in 1825 (I wonder if a 1/2 sibling or other relative to William).

I have noticed in my research that the Thornton families appear to have lived in the St Nicholas Parish between 1818-1838 as there are several baptisms with name only in their register (this church only recorded name and date of baptism).

So far it looks like the parish records I need from the church don't exist (there are gaps) or they don't provide parents names.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Blimey, I think I just found Mary Thornton's marriage in the Parish of Market Street

Can someone tell me what Catherine's surname is (she is one of the presenters to the marriage of Edward Kelly to Mary Thornton 20 Feb 1829 Market Street)

Is it Syron/Byron? Sydon/Sydow

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Or possibly Lydon ?

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile