Author Topic: 1926 Russian/Ukrainian birth certificate help  (Read 477 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1926 Russian/Ukrainian birth certificate help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I think Amy is correct with “Johan”. There is no J in Ukrainian/Russian and different letters are used instead. “Iosef” is used for Joseph (obviously in Cyrillic letters).

There's no 'h' in Russian either, and it is sometimes replaced with 'g'.

When preparing for the Russian O Level oral many moons ago, our class was somewhat amused to be told that when saying "I support (a football team etc)" the literal translation of the Russian was "I am sick behind". For one member of the class that might have been quite appropriate, as he finished the sentence with "Galifax Town".

It's one of those things you tend to remember.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
That uniform was probably his first and lacks the eagle and swastika badge. The litzen on the collar looks non standard too. He probably ended up in the Waffen SS. Himmler persuaded Hitler to place all foreign troops under his command.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline amy50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, i have a lot of name variations now to check out. Very helpful!