Author Topic: Lidcombe Home / Rookwood State Hospital, Sydney.  (Read 3215 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Lidcombe Home / Rookwood State Hospital, Sydney.
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Morning

I'm hoping some NSW centric folk may have some experience, not first hand though, with this facility.

I have a death in 1917, the death notice reads, 'at Lidcombe Home'.  Would this be the 'nice' way of referring to The Rookwood State Hospital?  The death is registered at Granville and the deceased buried alone at Rookwood.

Was the facility for destitute men, or 'Mental Hospital', or whatever the 'state' determined?!

Would records for this facility be 'public'?!  I'm hoping maybe they may shed some light on the deceased's wife.  I cant locate her ANYWHERE after 1895.

This family's story is utterly tragic, horrendous actually...

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lidcombe Home / Rookwood State Hospital, Sydney.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar

Western Sydney Records Centre it is then...

Interesting info on the facility too.  Seems at the time it catered for 'Older men with issues'.  That would fit the bill with my fella.

Many thanks

bitzar, Melbourne.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 February 18 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I've now found someone possibly from the same family whose pauper burial states 'died at Parramatta Hospital' in 1959.  Would this be Parramatta Mental Hospital?!

Thanks, bitzar.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 18 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Bitza

I have a fellow, his death on the NSW BDM states

died 1933 Mental Hospital 77 Yrs  Registered district Parramatta

As he is a distant relative I have not purchased his death cert, but have had no luck in tracing where he was buried.  I am wondering if you have a death cert for the person you have found, could you tell me where they are buried. I am hoping that my fellow, who I think would also received a Paupers burial, might be buried at the same cemetery.

Just in passing I think there may have been two Hospitals one at Lidcombe and the other at Parramatta. I remember when I was a kid way back in the 1950 or 60 my parents used to take us every year to a fete at the Parramatta Hospital. The fete was I think held in Spring and their beautiful gardens were open, I still remember the huge poppies and pansy, Dad tried for years but could never get his plants to have such huge blooms. There was also lots of Wisteria

Cass

Ps just did  google  search, it seems Wistaria Festival at the| Cumberland Hospital is still going

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 February 18 04:05 GMT (UK) »
yes two separate institutions.  Lidcombe deaths usually to Rookwood, Parramatta sometimes Rookwood but sometimes fIeld of Mars or to  Mays Hill or other cemeteries.

JM on kindle
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Cass

I have a Lidcombe Home death in 1917.  NSW state archives told me today that at that time Lidcombe was a more of a home for destitute and infirm men, not a mental hospital as such.  He is buried at Rookwood.

The 1959 death was at Parramatta Hospital according to Field of Mars cemetery where he is buried.  At this time I am only assuming the Mental Hospital because he is also on the NSW ER at the State Hospital Parramatta 1943, so that appears to be a long term inmate.

I am applying to the 'State of NSW' right now for early access to the files.  There is currently a 110 year privacy law.

I'll let you know.

bitzar.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies

I cannot find anything on the Rookwood site, I will send them a email and see if I have any luck. ( I dont have much faith in their deceased search site, there is no record of him on the Rookwood disc, but the chances of a headstone are pretty slim).

I have checked the Field of Mars site but again no luck.

Thanks again

An update,  just received  a phone call from Rookwood Office they found him buried in the Anglican Section in a paupers Grave. Recorded in their system under surname PIPMANN rather than PITMAN, given names and date of death match. Lass said she checked original old register, writing is not good , they cannot alter surname spelling without copy of original death cert.  Very helpful lady

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure she said 'original death certificate' ??

Rookwood didn't have my dad's GF listed though we knew he was there.  Finally found him with wrongly spelled surname.  I had to send them a copy of the death certificate from the BDM Registry, but not the 'original' death certificate which would be in the hands of the funeral directors if it still existed.  Don't know how long they have to keep the originals (this was a 1894 death).
When Rookwood received my copy, they fixed their records.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)