Author Topic: 1851 Scottish census advice  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1851 Scottish census advice
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello there I'm hoping someone might be able to help answer a question on the 1851 census in Scotland. 

My grandmother was born Gladys Urquhart and her great grandfather William Urquhart was from Scotland and he migrated to Australia sometime after 1851 (we've still found no record of how he got here)

Williams parents were John and Agnes Urquhart and William is their youngest son.  We find the family all together in 1851 minus the father John.  There seems to be some speculation that he may have died during the Crimean War in 1855 but my uncle seems to think that on the 1851 census it says Agnes is a widow although he's never shown me evidence of this and the only census I can find is the transcript which has Agnes as the Head which could mean John was still alive in 1851.  We have not been able to find any death record. 

I have searched online joined Scotland's people to see if I can find the handwritten census but without success.  Does anyone know how the handwritten record can be viewed?

I will attach a photo of the transcript.

Thank you for any advice would like to clear up this mystery.

Blessings
Deb

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Scottish census advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
They have the surname transcribed as URGUHART on ScotlandsPeople, if you search for her by that name you'll find the family. I found her by searching Agnes Ur*hart.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow thank you will go check it out hopefully it will clear up the widow or not part.

Blessings
Deb

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow thank you will go check it out hopefully it will clear up the widow or not part.

Blessings
Deb

Sorry I couldn't edit my post sooner, Rootchat wasn't loading for me, but I've checked the image and it does say she's widowed. I could pm you the image if you haven't checked already?

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:30 GMT (UK) »
They have the surname transcribed as URGUHART on ScotlandsPeople, if you search for her by that name you'll find the family. I found her by searching Agnes Ur*hart.

Well that solved that as it does indeed say widow so my uncle was correct so John Urquhart must have died prior to this census and not in 1855 during the Crimean War as some have thought.

Thank you for that!
Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:33 GMT (UK) »

Blessings
Deb

Sorry I couldn't edit my post sooner, Rootchat wasn't loading for me, but I've checked the image and it does say she's widowed. I could pm you the image if you haven't checked already?

Oh oops just missed it ... thank you anyway I had just enough credits left to check :-). Now if I can just find a plausible death time.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:34 GMT (UK) »
My uncle said from what he was told by family history was that John died before William was born so I will start there.

Thanks again
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 February 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of the painting sent to me by my uncle said to be William Urquhart in the middle with two of his older brothers thought to have been done by the other brother?   Only I don't know who's who except for William.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 February 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
William Urquhart as an older man in Australia