Author Topic: Thomas REID Carlingford, Ireland  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Reidreid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas REID Carlingford, Ireland
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking for family of Thomas REID born about 1852 Carlingford, Ireland?
Father Isaac REID? (source 2 marriage documents). Only source I have for birth location is from the 1911 England Census. Found living in Isle of Man Census 1871, occupation Fisherman. Married Margaret HUDSON or HUDGEON at Kirk Rushen, July 1871. Had two children. Wife dies and he moves to Liverpool and marries Catherine Jane KERRUISH (also from the IOM) in Kirkdale, Lancashire in 1876. They have four more children.
Looking to find Thomas's birth record, parents and any siblings. Not sure if birth location is the town of Carlingford or the Parish??? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Sharon Reid

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas REID Carlingford, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 18 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Only a few Reids in Carlingford 1901... they were Church of Ireland!!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lgq/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
 Birth, Marriage and Death results for Reid of Dundalk Registry District from 1845 to 1901

Displaying results 1 - 51 of 51.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lgr/

The years covered by the release of the historic Indexes to the Civil Records of Births, Marriages and Deaths are:

Births: 1864 to 1916

Marriages: 1845* to 1941

Deaths: 1864 to 1966

*non-Roman Catholic Marriages are recorded from 1845, Roman Catholic Marriages are recorded from 1864

Thomas REID was born about 1852 Carlingford, so you might get Marriages for Siblings?? If you do you gets Mother's name so can look for her Death.

Don't see anything for Isaac

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
According to the Guide to Church of Ireland records issued by the RCB library, the records for the 2 Church of Ireland churches in Carlingford parish were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin, and neither church has any baptism or burial records prior to 1877. Marriage records exist from 1845 onwards because the GRO had a duplicate set.

So if the family were Church of Ireland (ie Anglican) then you won’t find a baptism or any early burial records but, as Hallmark has suggested, you might find a siblings marriage record.

No Isaac Reid listed in Griffiths Valuation for Carlingford in 1854. There were Rose, Sarah and Mary, who might have been widows. All 3 had small houses in the town, such as a labourer might occupy.
Elwyn

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 February 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
A Lucy Reid daughter of Isaac Reid married Charles Lowe in Dundalk 21st March 1859 most of their children were born in Carlingford
This may be her with a son John who appears to be married to Annie Macken though i cant find a marriage for John
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Carlingford/Ballynamony__Bradshaw_/1557084/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/Greenore/Ballynamony__Bradshaw_/575829/

Offline Reidreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, Elwyn & Dathai,
For taking the time to reply to my post. Lots of great information to follow up on and I think Lucy could be a possible sibling, if the tradition of keeping names in the family is one that was observed.

I'm still learning about this part of Ireland so can someone please tell me if Dundlak is the place where BMD's were registered for Carlingford, Louth? It's a little way from the township of Carlingford?

I should have mentioned that Thomas's marriage in IOM was at Kirk Rushen, and second was at St Adian, Kirkdale, so I feel that he would have been Church of Ireland, marring in Anglican churches on the IOM and in England.

On both marriage certificates his father - Isaac REID's occupation is Labourer. It does not mention in either that he is deceased.  So he remains a mystery.

Thomas's children (born on the Isle of Man) from his first marriage are
Annie REID 1872-1931
Elizabeth Margaret REID 1874-1953

Children (born in England) from second marriage are
Katie REID 1877-1953
Lucy REID 1878-1938
Thomas Henry Hudson REID 1882-1917 (My great grand father)
William REID 1885-1946

As mentioned, if the family naming is strong in this family then Lucy is a real possibility and there is also a William and a Margaret in the 1901 Census link that one of you posted, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I was aware that the Church of Ireland records were destroyed in the fire, and when I discovered that felt quite lost with my research, so haven't looked at this part of my family for a few years.

Thanks again for your replies as it's given me some new hope.

Kind regards
Sharon Reid

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, Elwyn & Dathai,
For taking the time to reply to my post. Lots of great information to follow up on and I think Lucy could be a possible sibling, if the tradition of keeping names in the family is one that was observed.

I'm still learning about this part of Ireland so can someone please tell me if Dundlak is the place where BMD's were registered for Carlingford, Louth? It's a little way from the township of Carlingford?

I should have mentioned that Thomas's marriage in IOM was at Kirk Rushen, and second was at St Adian, Kirkdale, so I feel that he would have been Church of Ireland, marring in Anglican churches on the IOM and in England.

On both marriage certificates his father - Isaac REID's occupation is Labourer. It does not mention in either that he is deceased.  So he remains a mystery.

Thomas's children (born on the Isle of Man) from his first marriage are
Annie REID 1872-1931
Elizabeth Margaret REID 1874-1953

Children (born in England) from second marriage are
Katie REID 1877-1953
Lucy REID 1878-1938
Thomas Henry Hudson REID 1882-1917 (My great grand father)
William REID 1885-1946

As mentioned, if the family naming is strong in this family then Lucy is a real possibility and there is also a William and a Margaret in the 1901 Census link that one of you posted, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I was aware that the Church of Ireland records were destroyed in the fire, and when I discovered that felt quite lost with my research, so haven't looked at this part of my family for a few years.

Thanks again for your replies as it's given me some new hope.

Kind regards
Sharon Reid

Yes the Registration District office is Dundalk!!

With Dispensaries here....as most often the Doctor was Registrar!!

Offline Reidreid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 18 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark for the map, it's a great help.

I also just looked up the location for Ballynamony for Lucy LOWE nee Reid in the 1901 and 1911 Census and it's not too far from Carlingford township.
I'm now thinking of taking the plunge and ordering her marriage cert.

I've not seen what an Irish marriage Cert would look like from that period (1858), so can anyone tell me if it would include her father's name? or witnesses?  Are they in the similar style to England?

Also I see that those can be ordered online, with a downloadable version of the original? Has anyone used that version or is it better to go for a mailed copy of the original.
I'm in New Zealand so mail I think it would take about 3 weeks to arrive if posted.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kind regards
Sharon Reid

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 18 05:57 GMT (UK) »