Author Topic: Are You Seeking A Research Challenge?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are You Seeking A Research Challenge?
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
My aim was to locate an OPR marriage. However, despite using wildcards and an ever widening time-frame, all my searches were unsuccessful.
Background:
In 1855, one daughter married a John INNIS (sp ? ). Her parentage was recorded as James NELSON and Jane ROBINSON (dec) while in 1874, one son married and his parentage was recorded as James NELSON and Jane ROBERTSON, (both deceased). ROBINSON and ROBERTSON would be detected using wildcards.

Cause of Names Confusion:
In 1871, when yet another daughter married, her parentage was recorded as James NELSON and Margaret INNIS (this daughter's own forename and surname of brother-in-law John INNIS above ? ). When she re-married in 1882, her parentage was recorded as Alexander NELSON and Jane ROBERTSON. Alexander was a younger brother. In both instances, this daughter appears to concoct parental names from her own and extended family.

I seek an OPR marriage for James NELSON (1841 Census, 41 years, Portpatrick and 1851 Census, 52 years, Stranraer) and Jane (1841 Census, 30 years, 1851 Census, no entry) ROBINSON or ROBERTSON   OR    Margaret (Margret, etc) INNIS probably in Wigtown.

Thank you.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are You Seeking A Research Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Daughter Margaret is baptised at New Luce 15/5/1835 d of James Nelson and Jean Robertson .
Eldest daughter Elizabeth is born 1831 Ireland according to 1851 census.
Possible burial for Jean Nelson 16/12/1847 at Kirkcolm.
Possible death for James Nelson 1861 Inch age 60 mother Cochran

Ciderdrinker

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ciderdrinker. I believed Jane (Snr) died at Portpatrick during period 1847-1851 when youngest son Arthur was born and she did not appear in 1851 Census. James died at Stranraer, 07 Nov 1857 and buried New Cemetery, Sheuchan, Stranraer.

1841 Census records eldest daughter Elizabeth, Age 7, born Wigtown and we know our ancestors were NEVER untruthful with the Enumerator  ::) .

I'm of a mind that mother's maiden name was Jane ROBERTSON which is more Scots than ROBINSON. An OPR marriage would prove it!

q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »

I'm of a mind that mother's maiden name was Jane ROBERTSON which is more Scots than ROBINSON. An OPR marriage would prove it!

In Ireland many surnames have several versions. For example, Robertson and Robinson are interchangeable and you often see the name swap from one version to the other in official records depending on the whim of the person recording the information. Another example is Kirkpatrick & Kilpatrick. Falconer/Faulkner is similar. You get the same thing with forenames such as Jean/Jane and Agnes/Ann and Sally/Sarah which are all alternatives.

The Robertsons and Kirpatricks mostly came to Ireland from Scotland and so presumably that naming practice was in use there too.  So Robertson & Robinson could easily both be accurate, because they are one and the same name.
Elwyn