Author Topic: GEORGE TAYLOR AND CATHERINE RAE  (Read 2617 times)

Offline black dwarf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE TAYLOR AND CATHERINE RAE
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
1851 – Colmse, Methlick, Aberdeenshire
George Taylor age 20 Farm Servant born Tarves, Aberdeenshire 1831

George is with James & Agnes Davidson their children and other related Davidson’s plus other servants.

Colin

Hi Colin, many thanks for all of these leads, will follow up to see if I can solve the mystery!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Where did George & Margaret live after they married? Have you seen them in all the censuses till their deaths? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if any other family relatives appear with them such as a niece or nephew? If so you would be able to trace any potential siblings of George through their birth certificate. It would be so fine if you could locate a marriage of a sibling after 1855 :)  Who was the informant on George's death certificate? They might have mistaken the names. Is there an indication of George senior's occupation? Does the headstone in Barthol Chapel give any clues? Do you know how many people are buried in that plot? The burial records may reveal that. Remember not everyone could afford a headstone. Do the adjacent plots have Taylor connections?
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline black dwarf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, so far can't trace them in any census records - no records of siblings etc either...think best bet is a trip to Barthol Chapel cemetery to see if any clues there. :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Does not seem to be either of them here :-

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2544618/barthol-chapel-graveyard

Malky

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
What about the informant on George's death certificate? Who was it?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, so far can't trace them in any census records - no records of siblings etc either...think best bet is a trip to Barthol Chapel cemetery to see if any clues there. :)
In your first post you say George was born c1830 according to various censuses!
flst

Offline black dwarf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Followed up the James Taylor Catherine Rae angle as most likely - can find them in censuses 1841 and 1851 with potential siblings of George, however can't trace any of these siblings  at all beyond that, so still wondering if they moved away from the area, apart from my GG grandfather who married in 1852. His death certificate was signed by his son, also George...think son's wife is in same burial plot as my GG grandfather in Barthol chapel....can find no other burial records there, but again not sure how complete the burial record info as published on line is? Assume many who were too poor to avoid headstones are buried in unmarked graves? Anyway thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions/info etc and I will keep looking!

Offline black dwarf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
In your first post you say George was born c1830 according to various censuses!
flst
This was based on 1841 census data where there are two George Taylor's working as farm servants in the Tarves area

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I see there are a few family trees on Ancestry & in fact someone has posted an image of the death certificate. I found George & Margaret in the 1861,71 & 81 censuses. They do not seem to be together in 1891 but I have found a possible George & Margaret seperately. I assume you have this information already? Who told you about George being buried in Barthol Chapel? A visit to the graveyard will not show any new information if is not a headstone. Although there may not be a headstone with an inscription there should be information for the plots/burials available from Aberdeenshire Council.
flst