Author Topic: Armstrong Family in Dipton  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong Family in Dipton
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Right through the 19th Century there was a family named Armstrong in the village of Dipton, concerned with the licensed trade.  I have been able to find quite a few Armstrongs but nothing to connect them with this trade.  I am looking for a Thomas Armstrong who was licensee of a pub known as The Letters (might be a nickname) at the bottom of High Stables in 1828.  Also Thomas Armstrong and Son who were brewers and bottlers (right through the 1800s) at the other end of the village and there is a lot of evidence of their existence (stone bottles bearing their name) but nothing about who they were or where they lived.  These Armstrongs also had depots at Lintz Green and Blackhall Mill.  Any ideas would be most welcome.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong Family in Dipton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Newspaper article -Durham County Advertiser 29 September 1893

A Family Squabble at Blackhall Mill

Mary Ann Armstrong, wife of Thomas Armstrong, wine and spirit merchant, Dipton was assaulted at Blackhall Mill by Thos Bushby.

1901 -

Thomas Armstrong   58
Mary A Armstrong   56
Margaret J Armstrong   25
Thomas H W Armstrong   7
Edward Bushby   adopted son 19
Mary A Bushby   adopted daughter 16

RG13 Piece 4668 Folio 9 Page 7

1891 -

Thomas Armstrong   48 Beer Retailer
Mary A Armstrong   46
Robert Armstrong   22
Sarah A Armstrong   19

RG12 Piece 4088 Folio 128 Page 24, Dipton

JJ

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information.  If he was 58 in 1901 he must have been born around 1843 making him the next generation from the Dipton publican of the same name.  This newspaper report clearly ties him to the brewers and bottlers from Dipton and Lintz Green.  His bottles have the same railway engine logo as the others.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi the Thomas above gives birth place as Tanfield, in 1881 he is a Grocer, there are two Thomas Armstrong's b c 1843 Tanfield in 1851 both with parents Robert 32 / Margaret 31 and Robert 36/ Mary 35
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  It looks like he must have taken over control of the family business between the 1881 and 1891 censuses.  It seems like Thomas is a traditional name in this family with one in every generation

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
HI again, their were advertisments 21st June 1848 re A Pigeon Gun value £3 10s at Pigeons 21 yards rise and 109 fall to be shot for at the house of Thomas Armstrong, Fox Inn, Dipton.
Keyboard86

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
This pub was demolished in 1992 but curiously. It stood almost opposite Thomas Armstrong's former bottling works.  This is the first time he has been associated with that pub, so I am quite excited about this news.  Do you happen to know where it was advertised?  Many thanks.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, the one I read was from the Newcastle Courant.
Others, re inquest 1850 of a Clinton boy aged 5, Newcastle Guardian, held there, and Dipton Horticultural Society 1853 Newcastle Courant.
Keyboard86

PS in fact a search for Thomas Armstrong Dipton in the Newspapers on FindMyPast leads to possibly a troublesome Thomas jnr?
And one I cannot locate again which gives " Mr Thomas Armstrong at the sign of the Fox" ? It was the Newcastle Courant 14th June 1850 inquest of a James Robinson a lad at Hobbons Pits, " Died by the visitation of God"

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Census there were two possible members of this family and both were connected with the licensed trade:  Robert Armstrong age 32 Beer House Keeper born about 1869 at Knockley (?) Northumberland and Robert Armstrong age 22 Brewers Labourer born about 1879 at West Stanley, Durham.  By 1900 the Stone bottles were showing the name Bob Armstrong, Dipton but the logo had changed to a monogram of the letters T and A so I am sure there is a connection with Thomas Armstrong.  Can anybody suggest how I can find exactly where these two men were on census night.  The source I have shows only Co Durham.