Author Topic: Aaron Williams of Danville, PA  (Read 736 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aaron Williams of Danville, PA
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for great grandmother's uncle Aaron Williams.
After not having much luck I found this possiblity.

Aaron Williams, born Nov 1835 (or 1836, 1839) in South Wales or England.  He married Mary Birt about 1863. She was previously married to and later divorced from John Richings.  (I haven't see the divorce record.)  The 1900 census said Aaron immigrated in 1860, and was naturalized.  He died 2 Jan 1906, Mahoning, Montour, Pennsylvania, USA - from death certificate (it doesn't give a birthdate or parents).

He was on the:
1870 census in Danville Ward 4, Montour, Pennsylvania, USA.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ5Z-7BQ

1880 census in Danville, Montour, Pennsylvania, USA, on Uppermulberry Street.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWN5-9DD

1900 census in Danville Ward 2, Montour, Pennsylvania, on Wall Street
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M3QR-MKK

He has a will probated 14 Jan 1906, Montour, Pennsylvania.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G991-GBMR?i=52&wc=9PMK-7MQ%3A268495701%2C268511701&cc=1999196

I cannot find his marriage record or immigration records.  Where would I find or order his marriage record and could it possibly give his parents's names?  I would appreciate any information or clues.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aaron Williams of Danville, PA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Pennsylvania didn't require statewide vital registration until 1906, and apparently that county started marriage registration in 1885.  https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Montour_County,_Pennsylvania_Genealogy  So, unfortunately, I would expect that a marriage record doesn't exist unless it is from a church, and, even if it did exist, it probably would not have his parents' names.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 February 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shellyesq.  That doesn't sound too hopeful.  Aaron Williams and Mary Birt were buried in the  Episcopal Cemetery in Danville, so I assume they were Episcopalian. 
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I see there is an Evan Williams, age 50, born Wales, next door to Aaron in the 1870 census.  Have you found anything on him?  Possible brother?  Also, men back then tended to name their first- born son after their father.  First son was James?

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the ideas SL Stephens. Unfortunately none of Aaron Williams children's names match my Aaron Williams parents's or siblings's names.  The children Sarah Elizabeth (his wife's mother is Sarah), James B. (his wife's father is James Birt), and John B., are children of Mary Birt and her first husband John Richings, even though James and John are listed on the 1870 census with the Williams surname.  I don't know of any Evan Williams in the family.  So that doesn't look hopeful.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 February 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
My father has one DNA match with a descendant of Aaron Williams of Danville, PA.  Is that enough to go on?

My Aaron Williams, was baptized 6 Nov 1837, Pontesbury, Shropshire, England.  His parents were John Williams & Elizabeth Thomas. On the 1841 census the family was living in Pontesbury. On the 1851 census the family was living at 107 Abersychan - Rail Roadside, Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales. I haven't been able to find Aaron on a Census for England and Wales after that, so I tried the USA.

The Danville, PA, one was the right age, and sometimes it said he was born in England and other times Wales (South Wales according to his death record).  He married in Pennsylvania a Mary Birt Richins, who was born in Abersychan, Monmouthshire, Wales. Mary's stepfather, John F. Williams, could possibly be Aaron Williams's brother, if John added the "F" after he came to the USA.  John is the right age and listed as born in England and Wales. The marriage index just lists his name as "John Williams." Hopefully his marriage record solves the mystery.

My post about the John Williams and Elizabeth Thomas family.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651332.msg6424438#msg6424438

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I am certain now my great grandmother's uncle is Aaron William of Danville, PA, and I am pretty sure John "F" Williams is also her uncle.

My two big questions now are who is this living on the 1870 US census with John F. Williams and his wife Sarah?  It looks like Edwin T_ain.  Where did this Edwin go?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ5Z-M4B
Torain   Edwin   19   1851   Male   White   Laborer    Wales   Y  Y

This might be Edwin Swain Williams, born 11 Jan 1851, in Abersychan, Monmoutshire, Wales. His parents Edward Swayn/Swaine/Swain (1826-1860) and Elizabeth Williams (1829-1858) married 3 years after their son was born and died a few years after.  He was living Abersychan with his grandmother Elizabeth Williams during the 1861 census for Wales.