Author Topic: Grasping at straws fourth line down on "Where born"  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Grasping at straws fourth line down on "Where born"
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think it's ditto marks.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I would think that Liverpool Workhouse records would be the best way and hope that you are successful there if you decide on that route.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KCB16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Liverpool workhouse records, but they do not indicate a birthplace, a family member, or any idea of where she came from. She could not read, so addresses from whence admitted were best guess and most of them are incorrect.

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Could Hythe, Lancashire be Hythe Close in Manchester?
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Liverpool workhouse records, but they do not indicate a birthplace, a family member, or any idea of where she came from. She could not read, so addresses from whence admitted were best guess and most of them are incorrect.

Oh dear. I am sorry. It seems to be very difficult for you. Often they do give some information.
I don’t quite understand what you mean about ‘best guess’ re the addresses - or how you know they are incorrect.

Is that definitely her in 1891 as you posted?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KCB16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Liverpool had an address directory, and some of the addresses she gave did not exist. I have given up finding her on a paper trail. I am closer to finding her through genetic genealogy.

Like I said earlier, I have searched over 900 people with her name and approximate age and followed them from birth to the 1911 census. There are only about 20 that I cannot pinpoint, and this is one of them. I assume this is her because the others were from Wales or Southern England.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
If she didn't know her place of birth - as you say is evident from other censuses - then I wouldn't attach much significance to a "dittoed" pob on one particular census! Probably just what the enumerator put when writing up the schedule!
She is hardly likely to have reliably remembered it for one census only.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The fourth line down on "Where born" is supposedly the birthplace of my great grandmother. It has been indexed as "Manchester, Lancashire." She was a servant in this household. As far as I can tell from other records, she did not know her exact place of birth, as the only other place given never existed.

The other census I have is the: 1901 census

Annie Richards, age 25, domestic servant, birth place Hythe, Lancashire.

Hello

There are clearly commas (ditto marks) under both "Do" [ditto]. The marks are not struck through. Also, when doing these marks a line is sometimes placed either side of ditto marks. I don't see this as being struck out, but as ditto, or as above.

I would be inclined to check large scale 19th Century maps of Manchester and Lancashire, to see if there was a local place, or area, called or known as Hythe.

There was a HYDE in Cheshire, East of the old City of Manchester.

Only the First Edition 1", hopefully Hyde will display.
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=3229203.77852&yCenter=3018941.32599&scale=63360&viewScale=181417.4208&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series&download=true

The Census Enumerator calls, the person says, or spells it as 'Hythe', the Enumerator says Kent, the person says "no near Manchester", the Enumerator puts down Manchester, Lancashire.

If no local place of Hythe in Lancashire can be found, then I wondering if it is HYDE which became part of Greater Manchester and Greater Manchester tends to be considered as Lancashire, but some of these places were historically Cheshire.

I have wondered and felt that the boundaries of Cheshire, Lancashire and the old City of Manchester and its surrounding villages, tends to be a bit vague in the minds of some people back then.

Mark

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I agree that is probably Hyde. Bushinn1746's comments are so right. Sometimes the boundaries in the south Manchester area can cause a few inaccuracies. It would be no surprise to me at all that someone would state their place of birth as Hyde but when asked where that was might reply "it's near Manchester" which is correct though inaccurate (if you see what I mean). I have also come across records where the person was born in Salford but gives their place of birth as Manchester which strictly speaking is another city entirely but situated on the other side of the River Irwell.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields