Author Topic: Cannot find death  (Read 2356 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find death
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
He may have been lost at sea, in which case he will have no burial.  Or he may have died somewhere overseas or at least far from home, so you could have to look anywhere and everywhere for him.  People have asked for all the other details to try to narrow down when and where he could have died, since in the early 19th century, there was no central register of deaths (at least, not before 1837 in England and Wales only).
Have you tried Trinity House records, in case his widow asked for help from them, or have you tried parish records in case the parish supported her, did she appear on the 1841 and 1851 censuses as a pauper or widow? Do you know the name of his ship, and have you followed its movements through the shipping lists in the newspapers?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Chris Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • STAND SURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I have not read past posts as you say they won't help.

When/where was his wife Mary Taylor born & when/where was she buried. 

Where and when did she marry Andrew.

Do you have her on census if so when/where.

Were there any other children born to the couple after Ralph.

She was born in Sunderland and I don't know when she died or where they were married.

They had a son Peter in Sunderland 1799 who died in 1800.

Then Ralph Taylor Anderson born/bapt in Robinson's Lane Presbyterian church 1815.

Can't find any information after 1815. No children, no deaths etc

Then Ralph suddenly appears on the 1841 census without his parents

Offline Chris Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • STAND SURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
He may have been lost at sea, in which case he will have no burial.  Or he may have died somewhere overseas or at least far from home, so you could have to look anywhere and everywhere for him.  People have asked for all the other details to try to narrow down when and where he could have died, since in the early 19th century, there was no central register of deaths (at least, not before 1837 in England and Wales only).
Have you tried Trinity House records, in case his widow asked for help from them, or have you tried parish records in case the parish supported her, did she appear on the 1841 and 1851 censuses as a pauper or widow? Do you know the name of his ship, and have you followed its movements through the shipping lists in the newspapers?

Good post. Yes he was a sailor

I've tried trinity house, I'm not sure what you mean by parish records and being supported by them, I've tried the censuses, I don't know the name of his ship (wish I did)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
By parish records, I mean records of poor relief administered by the parish.  Any records probably won't be online, but there may be accounts and lists of payments to the poor at the Sunderland Record Office.  I'd contact the record office and see what they have.  (I did find the record of an apprenticeship awarded to my many times great grandmother following the death of her father paid for by her Staffordshire parish and listed online.)

If Mary/Margaret was widowed, she may have married again and you may find her under her new married name on 1841 census.  Genuki Sunderland lists six women called Mary (1), Maria(1) and Margaret (4) Anderson who married in Sunderland between 1817 and  1836.  (Margaret to Walter Straton 3 Sept 1817, Margaret to Joseph Smith on 1 May 1820, Mary to William Readshaw on 18 Feb 1827, Margaret to Robert Francis on 7 June 1830, Margaret to John Burn on 24 Nov 1833 and Maria to William Bruce on 22 Nov 1836) Maybe none are yours, but may be worth trying to follow as there are only half a dozen.

Also do you know who the son Ralph married and if he had any children (I can't see an 1855 marriage for him).  It's possible you could find his mother living with Ralph's family.
I think your only chance of making any  progress is by thinking more laterally.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is it Ralph or Andrew's death that you are looking for?

If Ralph then there is a tree on Ancestry with the following info:

Ralph Taylor Anderson born 12th Sept 1815, Sunderland, Durham. Died 30th August 1899 in Sunderland, Durham.

Married 25th Dec 1855 at Sunderland Parish Church to Mary Nanson. Mary was born about 1830 in Sunderland, Durham.

They had the following children:

Ralph Anderson born 12th Dec 1856, Sunderland, Durham. No further Info.
George Anderson born 14th Feb 1860, Sunderland, Durham. No further Info.
Mary Anderson born 1st April 1863, Sunderland, Durham. No further Info.
John William Anderson born 19th Sept 1868, Sunderland, Durham. Died 3rd Sept 1951, Sunderland, Durham. Married Married Nora Nesbitt (1874-1933) 26th May 1890, St Marks, Sunderland, Durham. (11 children of this marriage shown).

The marriage indicated is this marriage on FreeBmd:

Anderson, Robert Taylor to Snaith, Mary: Dec Qtr 1855; Sunderland Reg Dist; Volume 10a Page 544

The groom does sign as Ralph Taylor Anderson though, Mary Snaith is a widow. Ralph/Robert's father is given as Andrew Anderson a shipwright, deceased.

This is the death:

Anderson, Ralph Taylor; Sept Qtr 1899; Sunderland Registration District; Volume 10a Page 451

If not Ralph then the above info could perhaps help?

Hope this helps anyway.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Recently discovered this site

http://www.durham-images.org/public/parrec.html

whilst looking at hubby's family in Sunderland

Ralph's burial at Sunderland Grangetown Cemetery
ANDERSON    RALPH TAYLOR    Sept.    1899    

Might help you in your search

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the papers, marriage death and death of his wife

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 30 October 1903

from that

Sunderland cemetery

ANDERSON    MARY    Oct.    1903
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Chris Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • STAND SURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is it Ralph or Andrew's death that you are looking for?

If Ralph then there is a tree on Ancestry with the following info:

Ralph Taylor Anderson born 12th Sept 1815, Sunderland, Durham. Died 30th August 1899 in Sunderland, Durham.

Married 25th Dec 1855 at Sunderland Parish Church to Mary Nanson. Mary was born about 1830 in Sunderland, Durham.

They had the following children:

Ralph Anderson born 12th Dec 1856, Sunderland, Durham. No further Info.
George Anderson born 14th Feb 1860, Sunderland, Durham. No further Info.
Mary Anderson born 1st April 1863, Sunderland, Durham. No further Info.
John William Anderson born 19th Sept 1868, Sunderland, Durham. Died 3rd Sept 1951, Sunderland, Durham. Married Married Nora Nesbitt (1874-1933) 26th May 1890, St Marks, Sunderland, Durham. (11 children of this marriage shown).

The marriage indicated is this marriage on FreeBmd:

Anderson, Robert Taylor to Snaith, Mary: Dec Qtr 1855; Sunderland Reg Dist; Volume 10a Page 544

The groom does sign as Ralph Taylor Anderson though, Mary Snaith is a widow. Ralph/Robert's father is given as Andrew Anderson a shipwright, deceased.

This is the death:

Anderson, Ralph Taylor; Sept Qtr 1899; Sunderland Registration District; Volume 10a Page 451

If not Ralph then the above info could perhaps help?

Hope this helps anyway.

Kind regards

David

Yes that information looks spot on, I am however, mostly interested in the death of the father, Andrew Anderson. Born in Lerwick, had children in Sunderland, and then disappears after 1815 (birth of Ralph) and then is dead by 1855 (marriage of Ralph).

By parish records, I mean records of poor relief administered by the parish.  Any records probably won't be online, but there may be accounts and lists of payments to the poor at the Sunderland Record Office.  I'd contact the record office and see what they have.  (I did find the record of an apprenticeship awarded to my many times great grandmother following the death of her father paid for by her Staffordshire parish and listed online.)

If Mary/Margaret was widowed, she may have married again and you may find her under her new married name on 1841 census.  Genuki Sunderland lists six women called Mary (1), Maria(1) and Margaret (4) Anderson who married in Sunderland between 1817 and  1836.  (Margaret to Walter Straton 3 Sept 1817, Margaret to Joseph Smith on 1 May 1820, Mary to William Readshaw on 18 Feb 1827, Margaret to Robert Francis on 7 June 1830, Margaret to John Burn on 24 Nov 1833 and Maria to William Bruce on 22 Nov 1836) Maybe none are yours, but may be worth trying to follow as there are only half a dozen.

Also do you know who the son Ralph married and if he had any children (I can't see an 1855 marriage for him).  It's possible you could find his mother living with Ralph's family.
I think your only chance of making any  progress is by thinking more laterally.

Thanks for your help I will take your advice but this maybe a little too advanced for me

I don't think I'll ever find him

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Finding a death during this period tend to be impossible because so few OPR deaths survived and even fewer for seaman. 

Andrew Anderson is a pretty common name in the Shetland's but there was a Andrew Anderson master of the Sloop Fisher which hailed from there in the early 1800's (Shetland Archives).  Even if this not your man I would check the Shetland/Orkney Archives if they have anything on an Andrew Anderson. 

Shipping News has a many references to numerous Andrew Anderson's one was Master of the ketch Anna Maria which wrecked 16 Jun 1847 and reported at Sunderland.

You find better luck through the Britishnewspaper archives or similar resources.   

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.