Author Topic: John Smith of Coven  (Read 747 times)

Offline Smudge.Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Smith of Coven
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to establish whether I have a link with John Smith of Coven http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Transport/Trains/Smith/JohnSmith.htm#menu  and http://3hammers.co.uk/about-us/history/who was 'famous' for producing steam engines in South Staffs for use in agriculture and then into the mining industries.
Apparently, John Smith left no children but I'm hoping there is a connection either with his ancestors or his siblings.
The link I'm I'm trying to establish is very tenuous but I've more or less convinced myself that there is a link based on the fact that my grandfather Harry Smith, gt grandfather Uriah Smith and great great grandfather Henry Smith were 'engine drivers / tenders in the coal mining industry in Essington South Staffs.  This seems to me a rather prestigious role compared with working at the coal face and one that was probably acquired through nepotism, notwithstanding the fact that Coven and Essington where my ancestors originate is not that far apart.
The only clues I have to go on are the 1841 census there is a Harriet Yates working as a servant for John Smith Sr. I believe Harriet is the sister of Lydia Churm (born Yates) who's parents are Thomas Yates and Hannah Yates (born Smith). It's also worth noting that I have a connection with the Yates family in as much as my 3 x Gt Grandmother Catharine (Caroline) Smith (born Tarbuck) (1814-1888) - her mother Mary Tarbuck (born Yates)(1786 -1864)
Also in the 1841 census for the Yates family
Thomas Yates - Head -35
Hanna Yates - Wife -25
Lydia Yates - Dau -4
Harriet Yates - Dau -3
Phoebe Smith - 12 - visitor

Even though I've not found a direct link with Hannah Smith and my direct descendants, I'm also wondering if Phoebe is related  to Hannah by way of the Smith family name as well as being  linked with John Smith of Coven?

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Smith of Coven
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Advertising isn't usually permitted in these threads but I hope this is allowed... are you aware of my book 'Coven in Times Past' which has a section about John Smith? It won't help in tracing his descendants or relatives (if any) but will provide quite a bit of information if he does turn out to be related. I also have a few other bits of info about him which I've unearthed since writing the book.

One of Smith's engines is believed to have been used at Essington/Willenhall so that may be of help.

Good luck, I'd like to know if you do find a connection.

Paul