Author Topic: British Railway Constructor: Natal, circa 1883~90  (Read 3697 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Railway Constructor: Natal, circa 1883~90
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 July 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here is the link to the baptism of Edward Benjamin on Family Search, unfortunately amongst as yet unindexed records, scroll down to the second page of the image it's the first entry.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTWB-XXX?i=53&wc=SFVZ-82C%3A44975801%2C51425101%2C51677701%2C51677702&cc=1468076

Sorry it's so long.

Can't seem to find Emily's but will have a look elsewhere.

Sue
Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been distracted by work on a more local project, albeit involving the history of a local railway line here in Swansea.

I now have on record here, an image of the baptism record for Emily Laura Pope, at S. Mark, Karkloof, and S. Luke, Howick, in the county of Pietermaritzburg, in the years 1886; page 47. There is a URL address across the bottom of the document somewhat similar to the URL you offered me in your message quoted above.  However, when the URL on the image is used the response is (words to the effect) the image can-not be found.  I have tried to find a route through the Familysearch website to the image but have not been successful.

Once again may I thank you for your earlier messages and the help offered therein, and apologise for the delay in acknowledging that help.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 August 18 11:01 BST (UK) »

Apologies for the delay, but like you got sidetracked by other things and have just now got the chance to log in and see what I missed.

Is the problem that you can't access the image for that address?  I have downloaded it so if that is the case I can email it to you.

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 August 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again Sue,

With the help of the link you provided me with I was able to download the baptism record for Edward B. Pope, then things became somewhat more complicated!

Knowing that the record for Edward was now found, I second guessed that there would be a good chance there might also be a similar record for Emily Laura Pope way back in 1886 whilst her parents were in the Howick district.

In the intervening time I had been provided with a link (a short-cut!) jumping directly to a substantial, three column list of Anglican Churches in Natal, and I then selected and progressed through the list for the one church in Howick, until I reached the page for 1886 and there was the entry for the baptism of Emily Laura, a copy of which is now safely secured here in my archive.

What I cannot understand is that when I enter the familysearch(dot)org website via their homepage and use the onsite search facility I simply cannot find my way to the same two images.  I have lodged an enquiry with their help desk and have received back, what appears to be, a standard reply, which points me towards 'Catalog' and then 'Keywords' (so far so good) but I have tried all sorts of single and multiple keywords, but have failed to find a combination that leads to that three column list of Anglican churches!   I am currently trying to make telephone contact with their local, Family History Centre here in Swansea, but I have yet to make contact when there is anyone in attendance at the premises.

So I am indeed so pleased that you were able to assist me with your prior knowledge of how their website actually works, for which I thank you again.

Best Regards, JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 August 18 08:05 BST (UK) »

Hi

Usually the reason for that is the image may be among unindexed collections that are waiting for transcriptions and checking before being posted to the website.  I found the image for Emily on unindexed records. 

It is worth checking back for South African records as they are being added to regularly.  There is a dedicated group of indexers/reviewers doing only South African records and they complete a project very quickly.

Glad you managed to find it and have it safely downloaded.

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)