Author Topic: 1889 diary p15 Chapel 2  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1889 diary p15 Chapel 2
« on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Any help with this text, especially red text is much appreciated.

I have found this piece particularly difficult.

"needs”, We L & I called at Brights & had tea xxx after xx xxx xxx rather xxxx xxxx were there & a most extraordinary spinster named  “Wooly” of a xxxx cast of features & a most ridiculous OR vindictive  way of antagonising those who she disagreed with, as xxxxx xxxx xxx under her xxxxxxxx xxx had the greatest fun by keeping our connections with the Plackett Chapel quiet till just before we left & then throwing her in to most delightful state of confusion by “declaring the same” Old Bright brought the declaration about purposefully I believe. Had delightful"

With every topic I post the wonderful folk here are brightening my transcription from dark uncertainty to smiles and wonder. Thank you.

The bold text is thanks to help here.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 diary p15 Chapel 2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Is it

'old Bright brought the declaration about purposefully.

Definitely 'brought' and not 'bought', and 'declaration' has the same
'tion' ending as you have transcribed for the ending of 'connection'
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 18 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Goldie61
Bought was my silly typo but I lacked the confidence on declaration.  I'll amend the text now.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:48 GMT (UK) »
filling in the xxxx's..some possibilities...had tea AND AFTER FEW MINS RAY'S RATHER JOLLY GIRLS were there AND......ANGRY cast..under her DISAPPROVALS ABOUT WHO HAD THE GREATEST FUN...? :) Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm...   ???

"needs”, We L & I called at Brights & had tea xxx after few mins Ray’s rather jolly girls (I  read “fools” at first, but I think Deb is right) were there & a most extraordinary spinster named  “Wooly” of a (not sure about angry – the first letter is not his usual kind of “a” and there is what looks like an “s” in the middle. I was wondering about “dusky” with a “g” instead of a “k”, but I’m probably going waaaay too far out on a limb here…) cast of features & a most rustick(*) way of (I don’t see antagonising here. Could it be a form of anathema**?) those who she disagreed with, as xxxxx xxxx xxx under her (disapproves?) xxx. (We?) had the greatest fun by keeping our connections with the Plackett Chapel quiet till just before we left & then throwing her in to most delightful state of confusion by “declaring the same” Old Bright brought the declaration about purposefully I believe. Had delightful"

*Rustick: Obsolete form of rustic
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rustick

**Anathema:
•   1mass noun Something or someone that one vehemently dislikes.
‘racial hatred was anathema to her’
More example sentences
Synonyms
•   2A formal curse by a pope or a council of the Church, excommunicating a person or denouncing a doctrine.
‘the Pope laid special emphasis on the second of these anathemas’
More example sentences
Synonyms
1.   2.1literary A strong curse.
‘the sergeant clutched the ruined communicator, muttering anathemas’

BOOKBOX! Where are you?!!! :o
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
a most ridiculous OR vindictive  way of antagonising those who she disagreed with,

I think it's vindictive. Like Karen, I don't go for antagonising, I think its anathemising
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Some thoughts on this bit:
"..those who she disagreed with, as xxxxx xxxx xxx under her (disapproves?) xxx. (We?) had the greatest fun..."

I suggest:
"...those who she disagreed with, as Methodists cam under her dissaproves strongly. Whe had the greatest fun..."

At least that's how it appears to be written. Is the spelling OK elsewhere? Or was he rushing and the spelling and grammar went a bit wrong? 'Whe' - changed his mind half way through the word?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you goldie61, iforani, Karen McDonald, JenB & arthurk,

I applaud your analyses and arguments.  I have tried to collate the whole into a text that is the current 'best guess'.

'needs” we, L & I called at Brights & had tea xxx after few mins Rays rather jolly girls were there & a most extraordinary spinster named  “Wooly” of a rustic cast of features & a most vindictive way of anathemising those who she disagreed with, as Methodists came under her disapproves strongly whe had the greatest fun by keeping our connections with the Plackett Chapel quiet till just before we left & then throwing her in to most delightful state of confusion by “declaring the same” Old Bright brought the declaration about purposefully I believe. Had delightful'

I am not sure I fully understand it but my vocabulary has been extended. The general spelling and grammar quality is so below the writer's usual standard i am surprised we have anything like this text. I had been resisting the idea that it was Ray because I have failed to find any candidate for his identity. There are 17 other uses of 'jolly' in the diary,  this one must be the most ill-formed. Methodists is now so obvious!

I will go back to the script to see if I can tease out more. Thank you

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Methodists:D
As you say, it's obvious when you know.
(Thanks, arthurk!)

I agree about the handwriting & spelling in this one. Maybe they didn't only have tea to drink at Bright's...
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd