Author Topic: 1889 diary p15 Chapel 2  (Read 621 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Senior
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 diary p15 Chapel 2
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
As he's complaining of the rustic pronunciation, I think he's trying to reproduce the way they pronounced the words of the Creed, saying "OI believe in the holy ghost", instead of "I believe ...". Just a suggestion.

I'm not 100% convinced, but I do like the idea.   :D

Reminds me of my childhood. We used to go down to Cornwall every year on holiday and I noticed that the locals all had a car sticker which read "Oi be no emmet, oi be ansome".
In those heady days without internet it took a while to find out that "emmet" is a derogatory Cornish term for a tourist.  ;D
Oh, them were the days, aye...
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Once again that is so elegant Bookbox. Thank you.

I'll put the 'xxxxx cast' to bed and move on.

We might get it eventually ... perhaps a clue will pop up elsewhere.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox - I should have sent congratulations on your 4,000th RootsChat post.

;D CONGRATULATIONS ;D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I hadn't even noticed. I'm a relative newcomer. There are many very much longer-serving hands than I.  :)