Author Topic: 1889 diary p15 Chapel 2  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 diary p15 Chapel 2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be pretty well covered now, such as it is. But I do think in the last line that it's purposely (not purposefully).

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your refinement Bookbox.

The transcription now reads
needs” we, L & I called at Brights & had tea xxx after few mins Rays rather jolly girls were there & a most extraordinary spinster named  “Wooly” of a rustic cast of features & a most vindictive way of anathemising those who she disagreed with, as Methodists came under her disapproves strongly whe had the greatest fun by keeping our connections with the Placket Chapel quiet till just before we left & then throwing her in to most delightful state of confusion by “declaring the same” Old Bright brought the declaration about purposely I believe. Had delightful'

Not the most rewarding diary entry.

It doesn't help deciphering the scrawl but I may have identified 'Wooly'. It looks like it was Hannah Woollams born c1828. Married by 1861 but living and working as a cook in a household without a husband in the census. By 1881 she was a housekeeper (still married with absent husband) to a neighbour of the Brights who was a younger single farmer. Widowed by 1891 she was running the household as late as September 1909! She died late 1910 aged 83.

The diarist refers to Wooly as a spinster - perhaps the husband was anathemised and the marriage denied.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Deskman!

It's nice to get a bit of background info. I find this whole thing absolutely fascinating! Wish I had something like that to wade through.  :)
Or maybe not - I probably wouldn't get anything else done!  ;D

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message Karen McDonald. I know I am in this deep.

Having found two other words in the diary that I think are both rustic I'm doubting the rustic of rustic cast here.

All three examples should be posted here. Any thoughts welcomed.

Can I also cheekily ask for any ideas about the glyph after the 1st (p4)?

I think it reads
"consisting of one or two farmers & families & yokels. Choir very vigorous & attempts intonations in rather curious way pronouncing somewhat rustic OT"

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message Karen McDonald. I know I am in this deep.

Having found two words in the diary that I think are both rustic I'm doubting the rustic of rustic cast here.

I think things have got confused here. My suggestion of "rustic(k)" was for her way of anathemising, not for her cast of features, i.e.:

a most rustic(k) way of anathemising

but a few other contributors said it looks like "vindictive" - which I can see, too.

Can I also cheekily ask for any ideas about the glyph after the 1st (p4)? OT?

I'm a bit divvy today.  ::) I'm not sure what you mean...

I think it could be:
consisting of one or two farmers & families & yokels. Choir very vigorous & attempts intonations in rather curious way pronunciation somewhat rustic XX.

Whatever the "XX" is, it has a full stop after it but the next word looks as though it begins with a lower-case "b" (poss. "believe" <?>). So 2 letters as an abbreviation for something? Looks almost like "OI"...  ???

P.S. I'm glad you got "intonation". All I could see was melonalim;D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for causing such a muddle Karen Macdonald.

I now understand the word before cast is not rustic and you had not suggested that. Iforani neatly suggested angry, I love the sense but I feel the spelling is so bad I have doubt.

With your suggestion of pronunciation  and guessing XX  as OT  (Old Testament) the fuller phrase is  "consisting of one or two farmers & families & yokels. Choir very vigorous & attempts intonations in rather curious way pronunciation somewhat rustic OT.  believe in the holy ghost

Again, sorry. I hope this helps.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
No apologies necessary whatsoever!  :)

OT makes sense.

Karen

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
As he's complaining of the rustic pronunciation, I think he's trying to reproduce the way they pronounced the words of the Creed, saying "OI believe in the holy ghost", instead of "I believe ...". Just a suggestion.

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Once again that is so elegant Bookbox. Thank you.

I'll put the 'xxxxx cast' to bed and move on.