Author Topic: LAMBETH MARRIAGE LOOK UP REQUEST  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LAMBETH MARRIAGE LOOK UP REQUEST
« on: Sunday 04 February 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for anyone to look up a narriage for me please?  It took place in the December quarter of 1916 and was between a Philip B Jordan ans an Alice Maud Mabel Taylor, nee Stickland. I have the details for Alice but need to know the age and father of Philip B Jordan. Thank you.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: LAMBETH MARRIAGE LOOK UP REQUEST
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
To look up a marriage we would need to know the church.  The reference number is quite high so it could be a registry office wedding  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie99. I had no idea about Lambeth records but thought it was worth a try, a registry office marriage is feasible as it was a second marriage. Thanks again.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:08 GMT (UK) »
There appears to only be one Philip B Jordan around that time
Birth Mar qtr1886   
Philip Belcher Jordan - mothers maiden name King (I think this should be Keene)
Wantage    2c 335

1891 has parents as Henry J Jordan age 42 and Martha age 41
RG12/984 f52 p20
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:71ZQ-BPZ

JORDAN, JULIAN  EDGAR     mmn KEENE     
1878  JuneQuarter in ABINGDON  Volume 02C  Page 294

Marriage Mar qtr 1874   

JORDAN    Henry John       
KEENE    Martha       
Faringdon    2c   389

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 18 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes I've found him but the one I want is a Philip Bernard Jordan. No trace of him in the birth registers so either he was born under another name or born outside of England. He was declared bankrupt and also charged with fraud and conspiracy 1920 and 1924 but that is all I can find out about him. He isn't on my direct line so I don't really want to get the marriage certificate but I suppose if I want a few more details I'm going to have to take the plunge!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
It is a shame you did not mention the middle name before  :)

Where were Philip & Alice living after they married

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
An Ancestry tree says he is Philip Clarence Robert Jordan born 1880 Long Melford Suffolk , parents James Jordan and Anna Smith. It has a prior marriage to Katie Annie Girling in 1905 and a divorce from Alice Maud in 1925. It has the details of his bankruptcy and conviction for fraud. There are 2 probate entries :
Philip Clarence Robert Jordan of 13 Copland Road Wembley died 16 Jan 1934 at Redhill County Hospital Edgware; Administration 22 March to Kate Annie Jordan , widow , revoked 31 May 1934.
Adminstration then granted to Elizabeth McBain spinster.

The tree gives residence in 1929 as 15 Norton Road Harrow , living with Elizabeth McBain.

He is on the 1881 census with his parents in Long Melford and in 1901 is a commercial clerk in Willesden. I can't spot him in 1891 and 1911, but I haven't looked very hard .
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Christine53. I actually found him around midnight last night via the divorce application and have just switched the computer on to add a message on here to say the problem has been solved. I suppose I'll never know why he decided to change his middle names, unless he just didn't like Clarence and Robert but now I know his actual name it has brought up such a lot of useful information so I'm quite a happy bunny at the moment.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Given that you state that he was charged with conspiracy and fraud in 1924 I note there is an article in the Burnley Express 22 March 1924 regarding a Manchester Court Case

"At the Manchester City Sessions on Tuesday... David Glauberfeld (39) of Old Montague Street Whitechapel and Philip Jordan (42) accountant of Water Lane, London EC, were charged with conspiracy and fraud in connection with certain cloth transactions".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)