Author Topic: Thomas William Jackson  (Read 6458 times)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas William Jackson
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
ballydw ... just digressing slightly

... I think this is probably the arrival in New Zealand of Mary (Mary Ellen) O'SHAUGHNESSY (later to be w/o Thomas William JACKSON) ?

Ship:  "Rimutaka"  - arrived 26 March 1886 - into various NZ ports.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FSBC-4NB

> click on blue link at r-hand side to open passenger list.
[Sorry, there's maintenance going on currently at that FamilySearch site and something's  going wonky when trying to post links. ]

This Mary was aged 18  (bc  1868)  ... native place given is "Limerick" ??   
BUT .. I think I just spotted on another ancestry tree relating to Patrick and Mary O'SHAUGHNESSY, info which seems to suggest that the family may have returned to (Limerick) Ireland and that further children were born to the couple, there.  ???
Maybe this explains their apparent absence from UK Census returns ??

Also, the Mary arriving in NZ in 1886, appears to have maybe been sponsored by someone "already living in the Colony" (The Colony, meaning NZ).

Will investigate further.

~  Lu

Edited: to add further detail.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
... this looks like Mary JACKSON's parents arriving in NZ.

# 07119
O'SHAUGHNESSY

Pat. - Bootmaker - 55 years
 Mrs M. *    (wife) - 54
Both of Irish birth - Contracted to land at Wellington NZ
Ship :    "Corinthic"
From London on 18 November 1903
Arrived :   6 January 1904 at Wellington

[Transcribed from "Outwards UK Passengers Lists".   There is also a rather moth-eaten looking image of the "Corinthic" list amongst the NZ Passenger lists at FamilySearch - and it is missing info.  The index listing gives "Mary" O'SHAUGHNESSY as a passenger but that is not what appears on the actual image (just has Mrs. M. ) ]

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Ah .... possibly this is your Mary ???
[Father named as Patrick ... address in Limerick is given too.]

I'll see if I can find more on the sponsor for Mary.  May have been a relative who'd arrived earlier in NZ ?

http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Leisure--Culture/Museums-and-galleries/Our-museums/petone-settlers-data/DisplayPerson/?Id=36092&SearchString=o%27shaughnessy&Pag

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
.... Mary's sponsor > very probably the lady in this NZ marriage ?  (She's also her namesake.  ;D )

Mary O'SHAUGHNESSY - Charles GAYNE - Year:  1877

Will see what else can be had for this couple.

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
... Mary O'SHAUGHNESSY (the elder) - marriage at Auckland, 1877.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS18770609.2.8

[The "Patea Mail" newspaper has a death for her husband Charles in .....  1884.]

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PATM18840924.2.8

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ballydw 

... don't know if you're actually needing this additional info for relatives of Mary JACKSON (nee O'SHAUGHNESSY), but will add it here in case it's of interest.

Mary O'SHAUGHNESSY (the elder m. Charles GAYNE 1877) appears to have been the aunt of Mary JACKSON ?

Here is the link to the Administration (with Will annexed) file, of Mary GAYNE of Kakaramea, County of Patea, widow of Charles GAYNE.    Her Will mentions her brother Patrick O'SHAUGHNESSY of D____ ?  Limerick - shoemaker. Edit:  should read as "bootmaker" [I would think that this is the man and his wife, (the parents of Mary JACKSON), who arrived in NZ early 1904 ?? ]

~  Lu 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99N5-2LYG?i=89&wc=7HT1-KXH%3A1045248401%2C1045396501%3Fcc%3D1865481&cc=1865481

Edits - made to correct occupation above ... and to add >
there was also a Probate file for Charles GAYNE who had died in 1884 - which wasn't actioned until the year of death of his wife Mary (1891).   The Probate files for both contained copied of their respective death certificates ;   (not terribly helpful from a genealogical viewpoint) ;   it appears too, that there was "no issue of the union":

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:21 GMT (UK) »
You must be exhausted Lu with all the info you have uncovered ;) Since the news of Patrick going to NZ in 1904 I checked the Ireland census of 1901 & found Patrick a 59 Shoemaker, Wife Mary a 59 living in Dromcolliher Limerick.  I then found births registered for 2 more children in co limerick
1. James 29th May 1869 Parents Patrick & Mary (nee fitzgerald)
2. Michael 13th Sept 1880 same parents

My eyes are getting tired will check again tomorow as there may be more births as there is 11 years between births of the above children.

Did you find the manifest of Patrick & Mary in 1904 wonder if any family were with them./

The marriage you found for Mary Shaughnessy probably may be a sister of Patricks.  Again much appreciate all your hard work. Rgds Frances :)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Burial of Mary O'SHAUGHNESSY - d. 1920 - aged 79 years (bc 1841)
Photo included.

This seems to be Mary JACKSON's mother ?

https://www.rangitikei.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/database?record_id=OSHAUGHNESS

~  Lu

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
... [perked up by that earlier coffee ... but now starting to wilt, a tad.  ;D ]

Hi Frances .. good work on your part with the census find.   ;)

No, no others travelling in 1903-04 with the parents (Mary and Patrick).   But I do suspect other children may have arrived independently - and I have some further records to check out at this end.
Yes - did find manifest for 1903-04 voyage to NZ (ancestry - "UK Outward passengers" ) and, as I mentioned earlier,  the moth-eaten (partially destroyed) passenger list at FamilySearch which is likely the "immigration into NZ" copy.   If you go to FamSearch you can easily bring up the passenger lists under "New Zealand" records.  I didn't look at further "O'SHAUGHNESSY's" as not familiar with names of other family members.

I'm taking a break now (for a grandma nap) ... back later today hopefully.

~  Lu