Author Topic: Ancestry Gedcom Downloads  (Read 644 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ancestry Gedcom Downloads
« on: Sunday 04 February 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if this should be in technical - I really couldn't decide.

Have read around this subject and know that I can download my ancestry tree and upload it to my PC using my software.  What I don't know is, before I upload this download to Gedmatch, can I amend the download - I want to pare it down and show more or less a straight descent rather than the many twigs and branches I have on Ancestry.

Couldn't see the answer to precisely this question in any other post but apologies if it is there already somewhere.

Modified to add:  On second thoughts maybe I don't need to ask this question at all - maybe its my software that will determine the answer and not ancestry.

Regards, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Gedcom Downloads
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Load the ged file as a new family tree.

Export again as a ged but being selective as to the individuals you want.

I know that this works with FTM2008 but I haven't checked any other.

I don't know Gedmatch capabilities so
that may decide what other interim steps are.

If it is going to end up in (or go via) Excel / Access / csv there is another little bit of neat s/w (free) Gedxlate.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray.

Will go direct from Ancestry to FTM2017 and then the refined file will upload directly to Gedmatch (if it will).

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
If you're using FTM2017 I believe you should be able to download your tree direct without having to convert to GEDCOM, this will retain all the photos etc. You can then pare the tree in FTM, as [Ray] has suggested, by selecting export and then individuals to include, several options should be available, they are in 2014.1.
I recommend you rename the trees before saving to ensure you don't lose the original data.

Remember you will lose the photos etc when you convert to a GEDCOM.So I suggest you save the pared down tree as a FTM file before converting. This may allow you to seperate out the media file in FTM and then attach the whole media file to the Gedmatch tree and possibly auto reconnect. I don't know Gedmatch so this is pure speculation.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.