Author Topic: Question about Marriage Certificates and Banns  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question about Marriage Certificates and Banns
« on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This may seem a dim question  - if you have a copy of the Banns for a marriage is it worth getting the actual marriage certificate?  The reason I am asking is I have two that I could order but there seems all the info on the Banns that I think I need. 

Thanks

Sue
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Marriage Certificates and Banns
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificates in England/Wales will show the name and occupation of the fathers plus the names of the witnesses.

They also show the occupation, address and age of bride and groom.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
The banns only show the name of the couple, parish, and the dates the banns were read. It is even possible the marriage did not take place.
This shows what information is on a marriage certificate http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/marriages.htm
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
The banns only show the name of the couple, parish, and the dates the banns were read.

Banns records can also give marital status, exact address (some later ones anyway), and even the date the marriage happened (if it did) is sometimes noted.
Not to mention the name(s) of whoever called the banns on the three successive Sundays.

On marital status, I've got a few couples who married prior to 1837 where the only record of this is on the banns. The marriage register entry did not include it.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
And of course the banns don't show whether the marriage actually took place. But an online index would probably confirm that for you.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I'd get marriage certificates, each time, and forget about the banns!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Of course the individual parish, in England & Wales, can write what they like in the Banns Register, but the normal pre-printed 19th Cen. Banns Books only show what I said. There are a number of images on Google. e.g. http://www.hoadly.co.uk/hoadly2/img25852-a1-144x100_full.jpg
http://penshurst-online.co.uk/web_regimages/287-1-4_p88.jpg

The OP does not say what date the copy of the Banns for a marriage is, and what information it has.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Of course I meant the Banns with all the information on it which gives names of bride groom, sometimes age, fathers name, occupations.  Yes I agree that it does not actually mean a wedding has taken place but it does have the same info including the witnesses. 

Think I will carry on getting the marriage certificate as well.

Is it the banns I mean or the marriage register?  This is the one with all the info

Thanks
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
The OP does not say what date the copy of the Banns for a marriage is, and what information it has.

If the OP is wondering whether to order a marriage certificate then we can presume it's after 1837!