Author Topic: Juanita Christina Brett & Mary Christina Brett - are they the same?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Juanita Christina Brett & Mary Christina Brett - are they the same?
« on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
A new mystery that has had us stumped for some time.

Juanita Christina Brett had a female child, B Brett,  in 1930's  at Paddington, NSW.  The child was adopted out some 9 months later and renamed as Y B.
Juanita was said to have been born in 1907 in Bathurst at the time of the baby's birth.
We can find a Juanita Christina Brett in Portland, NSW in 1930 - said to be a Nurse.  The address we know to be a part of the Portland Hospital and a local older man said it was where the Midwife nurse used to live - was Juanita the nurse or was she living with the nurse as she was pregnant?
We can find Juanita in 1930 in Randwick, then again in 1933 on the Electoral roll, then she disappears from sight.  We could find no record of her Before 1930.

We made an assumption - based on birth year, Bathurst, and last name - that Juanita Christina is actually Mary Christina Brett, born 1907 in Bathurst to Madeline Dennan and Charles Brett.
Mary Christina seems to have mysteriously also disappeared from sight, so this added to our view.  Also, a family member confirms that Mary Christina (called Tina) is no where to be found and also she was an outcast of the family for reasons unknown.(?pregnancy)

Can anyone help us to track down Juanita Christina - does she exist or was this a name chosen for the 3 years around her having the baby?
Can anyone help us to track down Mary Christina?
We do know that if Mary Christina and Juanita are the same - Mary may have had a very fractured life - Mary's father died in 1915, her mother Marilyn remarried a Peter Evans Thompson in 1917 who also died in 1927.  Marilyn and Peter had a son Andrew Evans Thompson in 1917, who was, by all accounts, an itinerant wanderer, who died in Canberra, ACT after walking in front of a car, drunk, in 1960.  Were Mary and Andrew close and did they ever live/travel together?
Mary Christina may have taken the Thompson name at some stage and also may have called herself Mary Dennan too.
Madeline Dennan, Peter Thompson have a background in NZ.
We are completely stumped.  You can look at my tree for more clues as we have discovered quite a bit for Mary Christina's original family but we don't even know if this is the same person.  These Bretts have benefitted from a thorough Tree at least!!
 https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/36022356/person/18869085337/facts

A mystery to keep us all going

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Juanita Christina Brett & Mary Christina Brett - are they the same?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
maybe this refers to her
"Would Christina Mary Brett, at one time of Darraville, Katoomba, or anyone knowing..."
1948 'Advertising', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 7 December, p. 12. , viewed 05 Feb 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18090406

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help  - I am aware of this article  - family at the time were unable to provide any knowledge about her whereabouts.
I did write to the lawyer but have not had any response.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Please confirm that the lass born 1930 and adopted and re-named is  already known to be no longer living.  She is clearly identified in the opening post by both her birth name and her name after adoption.  It is against Rchat rules to name living people.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
If she is still living, she would be 110 years old ??? ??? ???  (Born 1907 not 1930)

Not impossible, but she would probably have been in the news somewhere because of that age ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
If she is still living, she would be 110 years old ??? ??? ???  (Born 1907 not 1930)

Not impossible, but she would probably have been in the news somewhere because of that age ??? ???

Dawn M

Please read the opening post as it clearly names a baby born 1930 and adopted at nine months. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
A new mystery that has had us stumped for some time.

Juanita Christina Brett had a female child, xxxxxxxxxxx in 1930 at Paddington, NSW.  The child was adopted out some 9 months later and renamed as yyyyyyyyyyyy

2018 minus 1930 gives age abt 88.

Add
I have substituted xxxxxxxxx for birth given and surname and ıyyyyyyyyy for adopted given and surname.  At present the actual names for baby born 1930 are displayed.  I will use R2M button.

JM  r2m 0939 NSW

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Electoral roll, NSW, Warringah, Neutral Bay
1932 Brett, Juanita Christina, Stonehaven, Barriston ave, Nurse
1934 Benett, Juanita Christina, Stonehaven, Barriston ave (no occupation shown)

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 February 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,
Be assured - the woman who was the baby has died and she gave permission to her grand-daughter (in writing) to search after her death for the family origins.  She did not search during her lifetime as she did not want to upset her adopted parents in any way.