Author Topic: Help suggestions for Elizabeth Massey  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Help suggestions for Elizabeth Massey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the burial of Thomas Nicholls, 30 Nov 1865, Merridale cemetery, Wolverhampton, age 44 years (a bit out), abode Monmore Green, occupation Puddler (occupation matches the census Millmoor found)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lha/   FreeReg

Added: Monmore Green (burial abode) and St. Mathews (1861 census) are the same area
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above the 1854 marriage in Wellington quoted by Ladyhawk states Thomas Nickles was a puddler. Martha Lane's father as Thomas Lane, a collier.

There is this baptism in Dawley Magna 17 Aug 1828

Martha Dr of Thomas and Henrietta Hannah Abode Dawley Green Collier.

(Possible marriage of Thomas Lane to Henrietta Jones in Wrockwardine, Shropshire 6 Aug 1807- there are baptisms in Dawley Magna for children with parents Thomas and Henrietta from 1808 onwards).

I actually now think that the Hannah I quoted in my previous post is probably Martha's mother - in the 1841 and 1851 census in Dawley Green she is recorded as Henrietta but the baptism for Martha and some of her siblings has both names Henrietta and Hannah.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census for James & Isabella Massey (as quoted by gah in the original post RG9/1996 Folio 55 Davis Buildings, Wolverhampton) is only a few streets away from where Thomas & Martha Nicholls were living in 1861.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Just a bit of personal trivia  ;D  James Massey & Isabella married at St. Matthews Church, Wolverhampton.  I was christened at that same church on the last day it was open, the following year in 1964 it was demolished.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Baptism for Henrietta Hannah Jones 21 Feb 1790 Dawley Magna - parents Thomas and Sarah.

There is a death in the groindex for  a Thomas Lane in Madeley RD age 52 (correct RD for Dawley Green).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline gah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
  SORRY All OF YOU WHO DID A TREMENDOUS JOB YESTERDAY ..I DID WRITE A THANK YOU REPLY BUT LOOKS LIKE I DID NOT POST IT FORGOT TO LOG OUT AS WELL! ::) ::) SO PLEASE DONT THINK I WAS BEEN RUDE NOT THANKING ALL OF YOU ....WELL WOW !!!!!!! :) :)  YOU HAVE ALL BEEN BRILLIANT WITH YOUR HELP JOOL INTERESTING TO SEE THAT JAMES AND MARTHA LIVED JUST STREETS AWAY FROM ONE ANOTHER AND YES I DO HAVE THE MARRIAGE CERT FOR JAMES AND MARTHA  THEY MMARRIED 22ND APRIL IN THE PARISH OF ST JOHN WOLVERHAMPTON BOTH OF BILSTON ROAD UNFORTUNATLY NO FATHERS NAME FOR MARTHA (JUST A LINE THROUGH ) JAMES 'S FATHERIS JOHN MASSEY ..LABOURER (BUT I KNOW HE WAS DESCEASED BECAUSE I HAVE THE MARRIAGE CERT FOR JAMES AND ISABELLA AND THAT SAYS DESCEASED WHEN THEY MARRIED ..LADYHAWK THANK YOU FOR FINDING MARTHAS 1ST MARRAIGE TO THOMAS NICKLESS/NICHOLLS..MILLMOOR I BELIVE YOU FOUND MARTHA WITH THOMAS ON THE 1861 CENSUS BECAUSE I KNOW MATHAS MAIDEN NAME WAS LANE HENCE HER MOTHER AND SIBLINGS LIVING WITH HER ...JAMES MASSEY MY GT GRANDAD WAS BORN IN JANUARY 1870 IN WOLVERHAMPTON AND STATES HIS MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME AS LANE ...NOW IT NEVER ENTERED MY HEAD THAT ELIZABETH DID NOT GET ON WITH HER STEPMUM SO THAT COULD EXPLAIN WHY SHE DID NOT MOVE WITH HER FAMILY TO YORKSHIRE ...WOW THERE COULD BE DESCENDANTS STILL LIVING IN WOLVERHAMPTON ..THE HUNT BEGINS !!   FINALLY I WILL JUST MENTION JAMES MASSEY BORN IN 1870 WOLVERHAMPTON BECAME A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLER AND WAS GOALKEEPER FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY WHEN THEY WON THE CUP IN 1896 2 - 1 AGAINST WOLVERHAMPTON WONDERERS !............GAH

Offline gah

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor ..brilliant thank you for Henrietta hannah Jones baptisim details and the possible death reg for Thomas Nicholls ..you have given me details that i never expected to discover youv helped knock down so many brick walls   regards  gah

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Finally I will just mention JAMES MASSEY born in 1870 WOLVERHAMPTON became a professional footballer and was goalkeeper for Sheffield Wednesday when they won the cup in 1896  2 - 1 against Wolverhampton Wonderers !............GAH

Glad we could help

a picture of James
http://footballresearchers.weebly.com/-home/james-massey

and on wiki......
James Henry Massey  dob 26 January 1869  Place of birth   Monmore Green, Wolverhampton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Massey_(footballer)

Good luck with the rest of your research  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 February 18 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that the death I found for Thomas Lane in Madeley was in 1838.

William