Author Topic: Finding a marriage  (Read 5186 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a marriage
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 February 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I see sandyjose has been online today, wonder if she hasn't had notification that there have been replies & findings to this thread?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 February 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
TOT but I was looking for Austin's brother Ivor thinking that might find Austin [if he didn't die in 1921-3] & found this
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5552568
IVOR (JACK) AYRE, PIANIST Known At: 1919
From Collections Canada: "Jack Ayre, a pianist for silent films in Toronto, enlisted as a private in the Canadian Army during the First World War. He was chosen by Captain Mert Plunkett to be the pianist with the Dumbells concert party. He remained with that unit, with the rank of corporal, until demobilization, performing such favourite tunes as 'It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary' and accompanying the singers. Ayre composed the Dumbells' theme song 'The Dumbell Rag,' which eventually sold over 10 000 copies of sheet music. This tune was often whistled by the troops as they marched to the battlefield.
On his return to Canada in 1919, Ayre joined the Dumbells as pianist when they transformed their act into a civilian touring show. He occasionally conducted the orchestra, and was the first Canadian to conduct an orchestra in a hit Broadway show (Biff, Bing, Bang at New York's Ambassador Theatre). After the demise of the Dumbells travelling show, Ayre continued to play the piano for club and charity performances. He was the last of the original Dumbells to die, passing away in 1977.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, Josey  :)

I wonder if they went to US?  He just seems to disappear. I don't see any sign of Margaret, either  :-\

I noticed that Sandy had been on line, too. Notifications seem to be a possible problem.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 February 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Following up on Josey's information about Ivor Jack.... I found an obituary in the Toronto Star for Jack (May 10 1977, page B6).  It mentions much of what Josey found (and that he also played for the troops during WW2 with a group called the Lifebuoy group), and says that he leaves behind a niece named Violet Ashberry.  There is no mention of his brother.

There is also an article about the Dumbells in the Toronto Star on Aug 2 2014, page U8.  There is a photo of Jack (Ivor) playing the piano.

RK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking that if Gladys did marry Austin Ayre in 1920 (and all evidence suggests this), she and Gordon may have married (if they did)  much later and thus less than 75 years ago, so difficult to find. Nothing in newspapers so far.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find other obits etc in the papers as well.  Looking for  Ernest Ayre (father of Jack/Ivor and Austin)... found a notice that his wife Mary Ellen Ayre of Ottawa was going to apply to Parliament for a divorce from Ernest Ayre, late of Toronto but now of parts unknown, builder - on the grounds of adultery and desertion.   November 1924.

RK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
So it might run in the family, RK. 

On the Find a Grave link there is a pic of who the granddaughter thinks is Gladys but no source given. The wedding dress does look 1920s.

Any chance of finding  wedding announcement 1921-1930 ish for Gordon and Gladys - Ontario or BC  :-\

Gadget

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
she and Gordon may have married (if they did)  much later and thus less than 75 years ago, so difficult to find.
Good thinking.

Good find RK.
says that he leaves behind a niece named Violet Ashberry .  There is no mention of his brother.
No other siblings mentioned on immigration other than Austin. Wonder if he changed his name to Ashberry? Might be worth seeing who she is though she could be related to Jack/Ivor's wife Sarah Ann Smithson.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 February 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »

Thanks again for all the help,I will follow up on your suggestions and see what I find