Author Topic: Finding a marriage  (Read 5184 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a marriage
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't tried looking for the Compton/Ayre marriage but I will.As you say I want to be sure of my facts before I tell her anything.I remember seeing the wedding photo but at that time I couldn't offer any info

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that Gladys and Austin had a daughter Margaret?
This was mentioned earlier in the thread and found by Gadget as was the 1920 marriage.
? possible entry on the 1921 in Simcoe East.  Entered as Gladys Hare  :-\
Daughter Margaret's age mistranscribed as 4 - should be 1 I think.
I would try looking for this Margaret's birth, as well as Gadget's suggestion of a later marriage in BC.

I wonder if Gladys was the bridesmaid, not the bride, in the photo uploaded by the granddaughter  ???.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Here is the 1921 census for Gladys Hare in Midland, Simcoe (that Gadget found). 

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e003034268

In case it is your Gladys. 

RK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Austin looks like Aus/Ast on the original - Art in the transcription.

Given Simcoe is so close to the border, I'm wondering if Austin might have gone south/east. I did have a quick look for him in US but not thorough. Also, given what RK found about the family, he might have changed his name.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
In trying to track the child Margaret:

With reference to that 1921 census, I think it really is Art (Arthur) Hare who married Gladys Wright.
Anc has a marriage for Margaret, daughter of Arthur and Gladys Wright, which says she was 16 (the marriage took place in 1936, so year of birth 1920ish), and that she was born in Midlands, Ontario (place of that 1921 census).  She married Edwin Cotton.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
OK bbart, good find. Bride's mother gives consent so it appears Arthur probably died Dec 1934 aged 34 informant Mrs Gladys Hare.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi bbart,

So that 1921 census is likely not Austin and Gladys Compton Ayre.   

I am not seeing any other possibilities on the 1921 Canada census.   I think I see Austin's mother in Ottawa, as a housekeeper.  Ernest is not with her... she says she is a widow.     

The family, or Austin on his own, could certainly have gone to the USA or to another part of Canada.  It is always possible that Austin deserted the family and Gladys remarried later.  Or, that Austin died somewhere other than Ontario and Gladys remarried in Ontario, BC, the USA??   

There are so many possibilities!! 

As Gadget suggested - there could be some clues in the wedding photo.  Perhaps the style of clothing could hint at a date?   Maybe there are some clues to location in the photo as well.  It would be worth having a really close look at that photo. 

RK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Good find re 1921bbart - so where were Gladys and Austin in 1921?

RK - as you might have noticed, I do a fair amount of photo dating on the photo board and the outfit certainly looks like 1920s. There's also a photo of Gladys as an older lady - I'll go see if there is a  likeness.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I've done a couple of tiny snips from the larger pics -