Author Topic: Murray-Dawson  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Murray-Dawson
« on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning. 
A little brick wall, concerning Mary Murray born 1814 in Kinfauns.  She married Peter Dawson in 1833 Kinfauns.
I just can not find any more on the couple, no census records nor birth records for any children.
Could it be possible they headed overseas at all?

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Murray-Dawson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy , :)
 I had a wee nosy ,and see that the marriage listed for Mary & Peter was also listed under Davidson  for him ,
SO started to look for that surname and think this is the family your after .

1841 Cencus........Forteviot Village, Perthshire.

Peter Davidson (30) .....Tailor ........(b) Perthshire
Mary Davidson  (25)....................(b) Perthshire
Mary  (5) ...daughter ..................(b) 28 /6 / 1835..Perthshire.
Ann    (3)....daughter...............(b) 15 / 4 / 1838 ..Perthshire
Catherine  (( months)............(b) Forteviot.

1851 Cencus ..........Forteviot Village .

Peter Davidson (40)...Master Tailor........... (b) Kinnoull.
Mary Davidson  (34)...............................( b) Kinfauns.
Mary  (15)...daughter ..................(b) Aberdalgie.
Ann (12)...daughter ....................(b) Aberdalgie.
Catherine (11)...daughter.............(b) Forteviot.
Alexander (8) ...son ..................(b) Forteviot.
Elisabeth  (4)...daughter ................(b) Forteviot.
William (10 months)...son...............(b) Forteviot .

There is also a death for a Peter Davidson in 1885 in Forteviot Churchyard.
hope this helps you .
Snowolf ;D
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
" Myles".. ( Scone, Perthshire , Scotland).
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.
"Robertson"..Perthshire ,Scotland)

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
don't know how i got a smiley at Alexanders name ......it was meant to be an 8 (LOL)
Gremlins in the keyboard hahaha
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, I had completely forgot this post, must of been a year ago.

Marriage to David Dawson was 8th Dec 1833 Kinfauns, Perthshire

Ho ever I did find this census to throw a spanner in the works.  So I am still no further ahead.

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Inch Farm House, Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, Scotland

Mary Dawson   Head   Widow   Female   38   1813   Farmer Of 108 Acres And Employing 5 Labourers   Perthshire, Scotland   
James T   Dawson   Son   Unmarried   Male   6   1845   -   Inchture, Clackmannanshire, Scotland   
Joan C   Dawson   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   5   1846   -   Inchture, Clackmannanshire, Scotland   
Agnes   Lawson   Niece   Unmarried   Female   16   1835   House Servant   Perthshire, Scotland   
Margaret Murie   Servant   Unmarried   Female   27   1824   House Servant   Torryburn, Fife, Scotland   

Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi suzy ,
I thought it was a good chance of them being listed as Davidson  as ,on
Scotlandspeople  the list of marriges was.
 Mary Murray & Peter Davidson ....8/12/1833.....Kinnoull    (where he was born )
 Mary  Murray & Peter Davidson....20 /12/1833...Kinfauns,( where she was born
Mary & Peter Dawson .....8/12/1833...Kinfauns

Maybe your 1851 Cencus is the one your looking for but Inchture is not in Clackmannanshire ,it's on the way to Perth from Dundee.....(unless they have on down there too ) .....don't know if you noticed that ?
well ! time for a cuppa :)
happy hunting
Snowolf

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Inch Farm House, Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, Scotland
Mary Dawson   Head   Widow   Female   38   1813   Farmer Of 108 Acres And Employing 5 Labourers   Perthshire, Scotland   
James T   Dawson   Son   Unmarried   Male   6   1845   -   Inchture, Clackmannanshire, Scotland   
Joan C   Dawson   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   5   1846   -   Inchture, Clackmannanshire, Scotland   
Agnes   Lawson   Niece   Unmarried   Female   16   1835   House Servant   Perthshire, Scotland   
Margaret Murie   Servant   Unmarried   Female   27   1824   House Servant   Torryburn, Fife, Scotland   
You probably used a dud transcription. If you use https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl you will see that the birthplaces on that transcription are Inch Farm, not Inchture.

Better still, go to Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.go.uk, look at the original document and make up your own mind what it says.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I have just started to look again and I think you might be right as Davidson. 
Both Mary Murray's marrying within two weeks of each other, one to Peter Dawson and the other to Peter Davidson, in Kinfauns, no wonder I got lost.
They seems to drop off the census results after 1851.

And far too many to add

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Both Mary Murray's marrying within two weeks of each other, one to Peter Dawson and the other to Peter Davidson, in Kinfauns, no wonder I got lost.
It's not two different Mary Murrays marrying two different Peter Davidsons. It's two records of the same marriage.

What is in the parish registers is not necessarily a record of the wedding ceremony. It is a record showing that the banns were called in both the bride's parish and the groom's parish. Sometimes the record will mention the date and place of the actual wedding, but not always. The difference in the date is because the banns might have been called on different days in the different parishes.

The third one is odd, but the fact that it's the same date as the record in one parish and the same parish as the other date suggests to me that it's a third record of the same marriage. Have you looked at all three originals? Are the two Kinfauns one is the same handwriting? Could it be that Peter had had his banns called in Kinnoull, taken his certificate over to Kinfauns where the clerk wrote it down with the alternative surname, and then the banns were called in Kinfauns and someone else - the minister perhaps - wrote it down again?

I think the family at Inch Farm, Clackmannan is probably a red herring. There is a marriage of a Mary Edgar rto a James Dawson in Alloa in 1839, and a Mary Dawson, other surname, Edgar, died in Edinburgh in 1871 aged 57. There are no baptisms of any children, but a Joan Christina Dawson married in Glasgow in 1881 and died there, in 1884. If any one of those certificates says that Mary's husband/Joan's father was James, I think you could safely disregard them.

Peter is in the 1861 census in Forteviot with wife Mary, born Forteviot, his children Mary, Elizabeth and William, stepdaughter Ann Gowans, 9, and another daughter Janet Davidson, 8. (This is from a transcription - best to check the original image on SP)

I am stumped by Ann Gowans, because Janet Davidson is the daughter of Peter Davidson and Mary Murray, who were married to one another both before and after Ann Gowans was born. Could she be an illegitimate grandchild? Or a foster child?

In 1871 Ann Gowans, 19, born Forteviot, is in the household of her unmarried uncle James Gowans, born Redgorton, and her unmarried aunt Mary Gowans, born Forteviot. They are the son and daughter of John Gowans and Ann Morris, so there's no immediately obvious connection to the Davidson/Murray family.

Peter, Mary and Ann Gowans are still in Forteviot in the 1881 census (LDS transcription - again, check the original).

I have failed so far to find a death of a Mary Davidson, other surname Murray, born 1815 plus or minus 10 years.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. 
Yesterday did spark me into action again and I also found the later census results, I was also confused about the step daughter, thinking maybe Mary had died and Peter to remarry to another Mary, I also couldn't find anything on FindMyPast.

I checked to see if there were Gowans on my tree and sadly no.  They could of been friends to Peter somehow. So that also remains a mystery.  As you said she could be a child to one of the first daughters like Mary Davidson  born 1835.

I was able to track one child of Mary and Peter's.  Alexander Davidson, he married a Margaret Roy in 1866, last census was 1881 then they are gone.

Thanks Kindly for your help
Suzy W

And far too many to add