Author Topic: Mental Illness & WW2 Conscription  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Jess132

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mental Illness & WW2 Conscription
« on: Monday 05 February 18 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I would be very grateful to know if anyone can help me.  Regarding conscription in England in WW2, would a history of mental illness - even when the person had been discharged from hospital as recovered - exempt a man from serving in the army, navy or RAF?  Did psychiatric tests have to be undertaken as part of the conscription process? 
Thank you in advance for your help.
Best Wishes,
Jessica

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Illness & WW2 Conscription
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
The National Service (Armed Forces) Act 1939 was enacted by the Parliament of the United Kingdom on 3 September 1939.

It enforced full conscription on all males between 18 and 41 who were residents in the UK.

One of the exemptions was for "Medically unfit as well as the blind, disabled, and those with mental disorders".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jess132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, which is very helpful.

I am currently trying to find out more about the way in which men with a history of mental illness were regarded by those who assessed fitness to serve in WW2.  For example, I know of a man who was in his mid-thirties in 1939, who was physically very fit, and who wanted to serve in the army, navy or RAF; however, earlier in the decade, he had spent more than a year in a psychiatric hospital, after being diagnosed with schizophrenia - at the end of his hospital treatment, he was pronounced 'recovered' and discharged.  I understand he did have several interviews and assessments with the authorities, but despite his 'remarkable physical fitness' (in the words of a friend) and eagerness to 'play his part', he was not permitted to join-up.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jess

I am not an expert! You might want to read the following link:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/schizophrenia/

The way I read it, if your man was already predisposed to the condition, then being in a very stressful situation such as a battlefield may well have caused him to relapse? Not good for him or anyone fighting alongside him.

I daresay someone will come along who knows more than me!  ;D

Giggsy

Offline Jess132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much - this is helpful.