Author Topic: Isaac Thompson b1882  (Read 489 times)

Offline jtbt53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Thompson b1882
« on: Monday 05 February 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there everyone, I am seeking help in how to find the immigration record for the above. He was born in Ireland 21st Jan 1882 to Sarah Thompson, father's name not captured.
I know from previous research that he emigrated to the US but no details were forthcoming.
I have found a record for him in Scotland 1901 census, thereafter nothing in Scotland.
A prompt from findmypast shows a record in 1910 US census for Philadelphia Ward 33 which fits his age , and shows his immigration year as 1905.
I have been unable to research any further as am unclear how to proceed and would appreciate any help at all.
Regards,
John Thompson

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Thompson b1882
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
The census image can be seen here - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MGWK-VYW 

There is an Isaac G. Thompson born 13 Jan. 1883 in Ireland to George Thompson and mother's name unknown who died 1 Apr. 1923 in Philadelphia.  I'm not sure if he's the same guy in the census, but the occupation on the death certificate says fireman, which matches the occupation in the census.  In the death certificate, he is married, the informant was Agnes Thompson of 654 W. 10th St. (same address as is listed as his usual address, so that's probably his wife), and buried at Northwood Cemetery.  He died of acute dilation of the heart.

Given your guy's age (and the age of the guy in the census), I would expect a WWI draft registration card to turn up unless he was in the military or volunteered, but I haven't found one yet.

Offline jtbt53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Thompson b1882
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 February 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that quick reply. Yes that was the census page I was basing my research on, correct Isaac or not.
However the Isaac you mention would be a different one to mine I think, date of birth pretty close but Isaac's mother, Sarah, was the only parent listed on his birth certificate. Father's name not captured, and I had been told his father's name was probably Bennett, but I don't know this. His mother Sarah died in Ireland aged 32 in 1896.
Thanks for your hard work, I will keep looking.
Regards,
John