Author Topic: Where else can I look??  (Read 2251 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where else can I look??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 February 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
That sounds nasty.
I would imagine that it's more likely that Edward was from Essex than Croydon?

Even via the catalogue I'm getting nowhere...........
Looked up Rayleigh, Essex, to see what, if any, church records were available online. They may not have indexed them though.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 February 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, there are prison records for Edward Giggins in Essex, but his year of birth is 1791.  Also for Frances, born 1792.

in 1836 Edward was sentenced to 14 years on the Hulk 'Fortitude' at Chatham.  Added: This was for stealing beans, peas & other articles, at Thundersley.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, a David Giggins born c1823 is also carted off to the Fortitude in 1840 & then sent to Van Diemens Land.  His native place is W? Raleigh.

Added: Edward was also sent to VDL - wife confirmed as Frances, with whom he had eight children.

Could the 1802 baptism be the wrong Edward?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 February 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Bloody Hell guys..! I was puzzling over whether it was the right Edward myself, Croyden doesn't seem to fit. The whole Jiggens lot were all Essex born and bred. Convicts though, that's a surprise.
You are such knowledgeable and helpful people on this site. I was becoming rather obsessed with Edward.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 February 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
One of the records has him as Edward Jr, so possibly worth looking for an older Edward in the area.  There was a marriage in Rayleigh in 1782 between Edward Jeggins & Mary Hainsworth

There are also these two baptisms in Thundersley on 17 Apr 1836:

Mary d/o Edward & Frances Giggins. Note: 8yrs old 8th Feb 1836. E Giggins late of Thundersley but now transported

Frances d/o Edward & Frances Giggins. Note: 5yrs old 8th Feb 1831. E Giggins late of Thundersley but now transported

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 February 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Burial of Edward Jiggins, 24 August 1855, South Benfleet
abode The End Way
age 63
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSLH-RVK?i=418&cc=1465710&cat=488175

Two images further on, baptism of Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph + Susan Jiggins. Abode The End Way.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Worth searching Trove Newspapers as there seem to be three references to Edward Giggins in Tasmania

1842 ticket of leave granted

1846 pardoned (conditional on not returning to the UK )

1854 certificate of freedom issued.

Also records for him if you search in the Tasmanian Government Convict Records - there is a passenger record for him travelling steerage from Launceston,Tasmania to Melbourne 8 Feb 1854 - ship Lady Bird. Wonder if he did make it back to the UK?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 February 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Wow. Thanks guys, so much information.
You are wonderful, descended from convicts, who would have thought it..!

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Looks like you were right about the older Edward married to Mary Hainsworth in 1782. They must be Edwards (b.1791) parents.
By the way Frances turns up in the 1851 census living in Islington with her daughter Mary b. 1828 and her new husband, James Short, they married in 1847.
Frances is describing herself as a widow, aged 59.

Thanks again.