Author Topic: George McDonald b 1890 aka Ross or Rose in Tomintoul  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Spartan67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George McDonald b 1890 aka Ross or Rose in Tomintoul
« on: Monday 05 February 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to “find” George McDonald b.1890 d.1964 in Tomintoul.  He was the illegitimate son of Barbara Rose/Ross b.1872 and John McDonald b. 1867.  In both the 1891 & 1901 census returns he his called George McDonald but at some stage reverted to his mother’s maiden name being known as George Ross.  Whilst finding him in the above censuses I can’t trace him in 1911 although in 1912 he married Barbara Grace Grant Stuart in Tomintoul (his name being shown as George Ross McDonald).  They subsequently had 13 children and lived in Strombos in the village.

Does anyone have any information to help locate George in 1911 and/or when he switched name
Lee, Ross, Rose, Stuart, McDonald, Ford, Brewster, Gandy, Jackson, Tomintoul

Offline Lonscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George McDonald b 1890 aka Ross or Rose in Tomintoul
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
I'm another going slightly off beat on this one as I'm looking into the McDonald family who stayed in Millburn near Tomintoul. I can trace their history back to John McDonald who was born in Kirkmichael (around 1767 - date not exact) and died somewhere between 1851-1854. He was married to an Isobel Grant in 1803 and had a son Robert McDonald born 28 February 1804 in Kirkmichael.
There was a Mary Ann McDonald who died in Inverness in 1982, Daughter of John McDonald and Margaret Jane Grant. Mary Ann married a Cruickshank in December 1940. I'm trying to find out if any of Mary Ann's line in the McDonalds is still around as she and George didn't appear to have children and her son John died in 1994. As far as I can tell she had 3 brothers, William died 1905, Alexander died 1997 and there was also a Robert, born in 1905, but I can't find a date of death unless he's still with us at the age of 93/94.  Great age if he is!  There were also two sisters, Jane who died in the year she was born -1906, and a Liza who died in 1988.  Any leads or help would be much appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George McDonald b 1890 aka Ross or Rose in Tomintoul
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 September 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Regarding the 1911 census have you considered this record on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

MCDONALD   GEORGE   1911   21   Glenlivet   Banff

There are 3 other possible in the County.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.