Author Topic: Smithfield Road, Market Drayton  (Read 1202 times)

Offline SmithfieldRDHistory

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smithfield Road, Market Drayton
« on: Monday 05 February 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm researching the history of Smithfield Road in Market Drayton.

I'm looking for anything and everything (including old photo's of) about the street, its buildings and the families that lived there up until the 1970's / 80's.

If you have anything you can share about Smithfield Road, please, reply to this thread.

Best,

J ;-)

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Smithfield Road, Market Drayton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi J,

I know some history of Smithfield Road, Market Drayton. On the 1843, Robert Malabar (Surveyor) map of Drayton in Hales it runs from Stafford Street to Mere (sic) Lane, but in those days it was known locally as Tinkers Lane.

There were a small number of cottages at the Stafford Street end, owned by; Beswick, Pugh, Locket, Pugh and Wade. A Mr Pugh had a large corner field and the map shows further field owners up to the Mere or Maer Lane end. I have an interest in the Pugh family as our family line originates in the town and dates back to the 1700s.

Copies of the Malabar map can be obtained at the Market Drayton Museum & Resource Centre. Have you searched the archives at the museum? If you need any further information I may be able to help.

DPC
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hello J,

I have just updated your new email contact as requested.

Have you seen this archive film from 1959?
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-old-smithfield-1959-online

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi @sarah

The BFI archive film actually refers to the cattle-market at Smithfield Road, Shrewsbury, not Smithfield Road, Market Drayton. Great resource though.

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia