Author Topic: john carr and family puzzle  (Read 4217 times)

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john carr and family puzzle
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 February 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
hi been looking through all the great info

think i have come upon something i need help with

this is regarding john carrs father alexander

going by 1851 census alexander is 6 years old making his birth around 1845? although i cant find a certificate , but his mother is listed as Janet Carr ,no mention of Father

i have found a marriage cert for alexander in 1870 parents are  John Carr - Blacksmith
 (deceased) and mother Jessie Ferguson previously Carr M/S Robb

but then im confused as alexanders death certificate 1920

his parents are john carr- Ploughman (deceased)  and Margaret Carr m/s Brannon (deceased)

this seems strange being 2 different mothers mentioned?

so who is the real mother ?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Who registered Alexander death as death certificates can be notoriously wrong I would reasch Janet/Jessie Carr see who she married in case any of the surnames match

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage of a John Carr and Janet Robb 1825 in Kilspindie Perthshire and they have at least 4 children between 1825 and 1832 in Kilspindie no Alexander

Couldn't find a marriage for a John Carr to Margaret Brannon

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I have found the wife of John I Think she died as Janet Ferguson age 58 on June 1st  1866, born around 1808 by looks of it ,
At time of death she is listed as Janet Ferguson ( pauper )
Listed as widow of John Ferguson - farm servant , her parents are John Robb and Elizabeth Robb ,

What I can’t work out she was listed at her sons wedding in 1870 as Jessie Ferguson previously Carr , m/s Robb
Her husband John is deceased but no mention she is although we know she died in 1866

Then at Alexander’s death in 1920 parents are John Carr - deceased and Margaret Carr - deceased

But in 1851 Alexander is living with mother Janet  who is a widow ?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 February 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I have found the wife of John I Think she died as Janet Ferguson age 58 on June 1st  1866, born around 1808 by looks of it ,
At time of death she is listed as Janet Ferguson ( pauper )
Listed as widow of John Ferguson - farm servant , her parents are John Robb and Elizabeth Robb ,

What I can’t work out she was listed at her sons wedding in 1870 as Jessie Ferguson previously Carr , m/s Robb
Her husband John is deceased but no mention she is although we know she died in 1866

Then at Alexander’s death in 1920 parents are John Carr - deceased and Margaret Carr - deceased

But in 1851 Alexander is living with mother Janet  who is a widow ?

Ryan I don't think this is your Janet I think this Janet and John married in Longforgan in 1832 which would mean Alexander would be Feguson not Carr

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 February 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I think it is possibly the right people as her son is listed in 1851 as Alexander age 6 in 1841 her husband John is mentioned living with them , so sometime
Between census he has died , then I think she has married another man John Ferguson who is mentioned at her time
Of death, ? I saw on find my past website that in 1851 she is a widow , but on ancestry census that is not included john the father is not listed , moving on to 1861 census Janet is mentioned to be wife of John Ferguson she was born Perthshire there are 2 children a Janet and a Robert born around 1846 and 1848 respectively ,

Had something happened to her original husband John and she moved onto another man later in life ?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 February 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There's a family tree on Ancestry which has Alexander and Betsy Chalmers with children including John married to Georgina Glen with the 1851 census if you search for the deaths of Carrs with mothers ms Robb one record comes up that of Charles the 8 year old in the census in 1862 in St Martins in Perthshire might be worth getting to check what it has for his mothers name and who registered it

There is a comment on this tree the owner is the grandchild of John and Georgina through their son John

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 February 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
It may be the person that registered the death for Alexander Carr gave the wrong information which happens a lot ...

Rosie

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
so assuming the wrong person is named on alexanders death cert - 1920 (mother recorded as margaret carr)

it must be the right alexanders cert as his late wife is mentioned as betsy chalmers

but his mothers name is different on marriage cert

- his marriage it states in 1870 marriage that parents are john carr -blacksmith deceased and mother being jessie ferguson  previously CARR, m/s Robb

in 1851 census alexander is age 6 birth being around 1845 which make sense with death cert of age  78 in 1920 approx birth 1842 his mother is  janet carr county of perthshire , no father mentioned in household

but back to 1841 census father john is mentioned birth around 1809 age 32 and wife janet age 30

so between 1841 and 1851 john seems to have disappeared

found some info but in 1861 There is  John Ferguson and Janet mentioned county of perthshire janets birth around 1809 age 52 and john age 41 with children janet and robert age 15 and 13 this make dob around 1846 and 1848 respectively

the 1871 census states janet age 60 this makes me realise i think i have the wrong janet as i think i have a death cert for janet and she is listed as 58 years at death and is around 1866

i will post the cert i have

do you think the cert is the right person