Author Topic: Descendants of James Stevenson and Janet Paterson  (Read 2070 times)

Offline sjme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of James Stevenson and Janet Paterson
« on: Monday 05 February 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I strongly believe I have all of the Stevenson descendants, (including the spouses families), of James Stevenson and Janet Paterson of St. Ninian's Parish in Stirling. These individuals were born abt 1665-1670. To be sure, I need to confirm the names of the Stevenson couples comprising the 5 generations descending from James and Janet. The generations before that point are absolutely confirmed.

I'm hoping some hard data exists as would have been listed in a family bible of a person who shares this family history with me.

Fingers crossed someone has this info.

sjme

Offline sjme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of John Stevenson and Janet Williamson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »

REVISED

I have refined my information and provided more detail. I have not included spouses families  childrens' birthdates but i do have them. Hopefully, this information will help me find persons sharing this information of our collective ancestry.

I strongly believe I have all of the Stevenson descendants, (including the spouses families), of John Stevenson and Janet Williamson of St. Ninian's Parish in Stirling. These individuals were born abt 1670. To be sure, I need to confirm the names of the Stevenson couples comprising the 4 generations descending from John and Janet. The generations before that point are absolutely confirmed and I can provide it..

1 John and Janet (Williamson) Stevenson had a son James born 15 May, 1691 in St. Ninian's Parish.

2 James and Margaret McGregor married on 30 July 1716 and had 4 children: Margaret: Christened 10 May 1717; John: Christened 6 September 1719; James: Christened 17 April 1722; and Janet: Christened 16 March 1725.

Margaret's Parents:
Alexander and Katherine (Thomas) McGregor: Children being: Margaret, John, James and Janet.

3 John and Margaret (Kincaid) Stevenson: Children being John Christened 4 August 1744, James Christened 20 November 1748, William Christened 20 November 1748, Frances 18 November 1750 and a further William Christened 4 May 1755..

Margaret's Parents: James and Elizabeth (Crawford) Kincaid. Children being: Margaret, John, Helen, Janet, William, Helen2, Peter, Elizabeth and James.

4 John Stevenson and Agnes (nee Stevenson): Children being John Christened 24 January 1768, Margaret Christened 17 December 1769 and Robert 22 June 1772.

Agnes' Parents: Alexander and Christian (Duncan) Stevenson: Children being Agnes, Jane Agnes, Margaret, John, Cicele, George and Robert.

My guessing of these 4 generations going forward is based on records I have  from St. Ninian's. Also, all of the children's names in these Stevenson families (and those of the spouses families) match-up and are repeated forward almost exclusively. I feel this is not merely coincidence.

I'm appealing for help here in that I've checked the Old Parish Records of St. Ninian's, and as was the practice of that time period, have only found the bride and groom's names with witnesses--no parents names appear on the marriage records.

I believe I am therefore snookered unless someone has family records passed down to them which include these ancestors we share.

Respectively, sjme

Offline mes39503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of James Stevenson and Janet Paterson
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi. I believe I may have some information about one of John Stevenson's descendants. I have been looking for parents of John Stevenson b.1722, whose wife was Margaret Kincaid b.1724. I am excited to find your post. Hopefully, we have information we can share. John and Margaret had a son, John Stevenson b. 4 Aug 1744.

I believe John Stevenson b. 4 Aug 1744 mm to Agnes Stevenson b. 1745 had a son:
Robert Stevenson b 22 Jun 1772 and mm to Janet Grant Stevenson b.22 Oct 1771.

If I am correct (and I hope so), Robert and Janet had a son named John b. 1811. I believe his wife was also named Margaret.

1811 John and Margt had a son named Alexander b. 1839, who married Maryann.
If I have the right people, they went to Ceylon to become tea planters. It was in Ceylon that their son, Henry Alexander was born 16 Dec 1861. There was a large Stevenson family of planters in Ceylon.

Henry Alexander left Ceylon and returned to England after a family dispute. Henry married Ellen Brindley (late Capner). They had a son Alistair Alexander Stevenson b.6 May 1917-d.1992, who married Edith Helen Brown b.1907-d.

Alistair Stevenson received a lung wound in WWII, in H.M.Army. He joined the Showman's Guild of Great Britain, Western section in order to work to the benefit of his health.

Alistair and Edith had one son, Douglas Alexander b.1947-living.

I hope this fills in a blank or two-I hope the information is correct, too. If you can verify it, please message me here and help me fill in some information dating from John Stevenson 1722 and Margaret Kincaid 1724, and their ancestors.
Happy hunting!
Stevenson descendant

Offline sjme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
Whereas your ancestor born to John Stevenson and Agnes Stevenson was named Robert b 1772; my ancestor was his elder brother John b 1768.

I have only traced my ancestor, so I cannot speak on your info on Robert.

If you want further info on Stevenson ancestors in the 1600's; I have a little more I can post.

Cheers,

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 October 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
Wondering if you have any info on Helen Stevenson b. abt 1790 in St. Ninians.  She married John Davie in 1810 and they had 6 children:  Janet, James, Robert, Thomas, John and Helen.  I believe she died sometime between 1826 and 1832 when John re-married.  Looking for her parents if possible.
Thanks

Offline mes39503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 October 19 21:53 BST (UK) »
I am sorry- I don't have any information about them. Perhaps the other Stevenson descendant in the same chat might. Good luck!
 :